5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Styles (FrontPage 2000)

When I am in Page View (Normal) I would like to edit Styles as a I normally do in Word, however, if I go to Format - Style the dialog box does not have the styles in the Style drop down box on the Format tool bar (Normal, Heading 1, etc.). Instead I get a list of HTML tags. If I change the list box to User Defined Styles nothing appears in the Style list. FP Help seems to say that you can change styles as you do in Word. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Re: Styles (FrontPage 2000)

Yes, that isn't very user-friendly, is it? I'm not aware of any workaround, other than switching over briefly to HTML view to figure out which tag (e.g., <H1>) corresponds to the style (e.g., Heading 1) you need to edit.

<font color=blue>Oops, sorry, I only responded to the first part of your post...</font color=blue>

User-defined styles are what are known in HTML-speak as class selectors. If you open the Styles dialog and click New..., the style you define will be added to the User-Defined styles list, prefixed with a period. These styles will appear at the bottom of the styles list, and work similarly to Word's character styles, although they also can contain paragraph formatting attributes. In the HTML view, you will see your custom style at the top (comment tags intentionally messed up for Lounge posting):

<style>
    < !--
    .myWackyStyle { letter-spacing: 5pt; font-family: Bauhaus 93; color: #FF00FF; font-size: 12pt }
    -- >
    </style>

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks that helps. I guess I will have to figure out if I edit a style that applies to a tag, does that style remain for all future Web pages that I create, or just that page. In other words (or in Word speak) am I modifying the "global template" or the "document template"? The books I have don't do a very good job of explaining FrontPage styles. If you have any suggested resources in this department, I am all ears.

Thanks

It's a guess, but I think any styles you define in the HTML document are specific to that document. If you create a style sheet file, then maybe FP could be induced to use that style sheet for everything in the web. But I didn't dig around enough to find out.

None of the FrontPage books I have bought have been particularly helpful, but then, I was using them more to figure out database programming than the fine points of layout.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"Styles in the style list in the drop down box on the formatting tool bar are HTML styles, and can't be edited in the same way that you edit styles in programs such as Microsoft Word."
    This from "Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Bible" by David Elderbrock & David Carlins.