Thread: Second attempt

JamesP

Second attempt

Hi[img]/w3timages/icons/dizzy.gif[/img]
    This is a second time that I ask this question. I am not sure if it is bad etiquette to ask twice or not. I am not sure if it was missed or that maybe no one has an answer for me. If this is true is there somewhere else on the Web that some one could go to get answer to a question that can't be answered here.
    This is the question:

Hi!
    Is it possible to set security level or limit access for an Access 97 database behind the scenes in the
    VBA code. My program is already able to read the users employee numbers and I wish to use
    these numbers to set different permission levels in the VBA code.

If this is possible, is there a place I could go to that may show me some examples of the code.

Thanks!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Second attempt

I think our posts crossed in the ether, James. I had requested that you expand on what you meant by your program being able to read employee numbers. By program, do you mean Access or something else? Where are you getting the employee numbers from and are these different from the users' userids or logins? You speak of setting different permission levels, but it's hard to answer the question without knowing what you mean by it. Are you trying to create your own security system rather than using Access security, or is this some kind of hybrid, or do you just want to address Access security groups and permissions in code?
    Charlotte

JamesP

Sorry Charlotte, I will try to be more clear.
    Yes, I have code that is able to get the users log in, which in our case is the Employee number. What I whish to do is set different access levels in code. If it is possible and easier to use Access security groups and permissions in code, then I will happily settle for that.
    And yes it is Access 97 that I am using.

I hope this is answers what you asked!

Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I would recommend you download the security whitepapers from the Microsoft site and see what Access security can do for you before you decide to create your own. The biggest headache with Access security on a network is managing the MDW file for the workgroup--and training users how to get in and out of the workgroup. However, with it set up, you would be able to use built-in functions to determine the permissions level of the user and to show or hide objects accordingly. I used to use it to display controls that only members of the Admins group could use, and to allow them to open reports or forms that other users did not have permissions for. If you decide to create your own security, you have to figure out ways to do all that yourself.
    Charlotte

JamesP

Thankd Scharlotte
    I will start there

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Here's the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=acc&Number=18015&page=0&vie w=collapsed&sb=5>link </A> to your original question just so we can keep things straight.
    Charlotte