New Lounger
    Thanks

Novice question: Database objects default action (A2K SR1)

Delurk alert, novice Access user. I've checked the archives, Usenet, Jennings A2K, Woody's O2K, haven't found an answer.

Is there any way to change the default action for database objects in Access? I often find myself double-clicking a query and then waiting for the program to return control, when I really wanted to go straight to design view. Can the default action be changed from Open to Design?

Alternately, is there a way to abort a query running on a back end Sybase server from the Access front end? I've tried <Esc>, <Ctrl-C>, <Ctrl-Break>, <Break> keys, haven't found one that works.

Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Novice question: Database objects default action (A2K SR1)

I know of no way to change the default behavior of Access, which is to run an object when double-clicked.

When using any sort of backend database (other than Access itself), your request is passed to the backend server. As far as Access is concerned, I think this is sort of like a "black box"; you provide it a request, and you get back information, but you have no control over it; so I don't think any key combination on the frontend will interupt that processing. You would need some way to directly access the jobs list on the server.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can change some things, like making Design view the default for Tables in the Tables Wizard instead of datasheet view, but I don't know of any way to change the double-click event, which is really a Windows behavior rather than an Access behavior.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both. I had a feeling that would be the answer. At least I got my feet wet now!