Thread: Word (XP)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Word (XP)

I get this error message when saving a file of a similar name - any suggestions - it looks a bit dangerous to me, but maybe word is smarter than I am!
    Attached Files Attached Files

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word (XP)

Hopefully this occurs only in this file?

Sounds like someone used Tools-Merge Documents command and then never continued through that. Perhaps you need to hit Tools-Track changes and make sure that you're viewing tracked changes.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Tracking changes was not set on - unless XP does this by default! - what it was - the original doc was created at work - then emailed home - on return to the office the doc was opened from within outlook - What is XP doing? - If tracking changes was set as on - would it not request to accept or reject changes? rather than merge them - what if I do not want some of them!!!!! Also why does it want to merge as the doc names are different - the names are not the same - they differ by the automatic addition of the 1 at the end of doc which word does when you open a doc from within outlook. Is Word looking at the recently used file list when is does this? How can I stop this happening my users will panic if they get this message and even more dangerous - it defaults to YES!!!!!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting.

>Tracking changes was not set on - unless XP does this by default! - what it was - the original doc was created at work - then emailed home - on return to the office the doc was opened from within outlook - What is XP doing? - If tracking changes was set as on - would it not request to accept or reject changes? rather than merge them - what if I do not want some of them!!!!!

When Tools-Merge documents is chosen, it will show the difference between two documents by using the track changes feature. You accept or reject by using the track changes toolbar. I could be wrong; I am not as familiar with Word XP/Track changes...

>Also why does it want to merge as the doc names are different - the names are not the same

I do not know.

>they differ by the automatic addition of the 1 at the end of doc which word does when you open a doc from within outlook.

I have NEVER heard of this or seen this *automatic addition of the 1*.

>Is Word looking at the recently used file list when is does this? How can I stop this happening my users will panic if they get this message and even more dangerous - it defaults to YES!!!!!

I don't know WHY you're getting these results. It sounds like very strange behavior to me---like something is set up improperly. Perhaps someone else will know exactly what's going on, but with 4 years of over-the-phone software support and browsing support sites like this---I've NEVER heard of this behavior.

Wish I could help more.

Thanks

I still use Word 2000. There are a couple of Knowledgebase articles on merging changes, but none seems right on point. However, you might find a clue that leads to a solution, or at least a better diagnosis, by reviewing them:

Q292157 - WD2002: Unable to Remove the Option to Merge Changes into Existing File While Saving

Q292122 - HOW TO: Turn Off Multi-User Editing in Word 2002
    <UL>Multi-user editing is a new feature in Microsoft Office XP. With multi-user editing, you can open a document that is locked for editing by another user, edit a local copy of the document, and then merge those changes into the original document.[/list]Q288725 - WD2002: What's New in Word 2002?

Hopefully some XP users who have seen this before can explain what causes it when you didn't explicitly invoke the review features. I wonder if it happens automatically when you try to save over a document, and Word detects that a different person (the persona on your home PC) made changes in it. Spooky, if that's what's happening.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you using a document management system? i.e. DocsOpen? We ran into this recently when a user mailed a document to someone at home [still waiting for Hummingbird DocsOpen answer].

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks looks like it is this that is the problem - looks like it is a 'feature' of 2002 that cannot be turned off! thanks for your help