New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Error Message

Hi Everyone: This is my first post here, even though I've read a number of Woody's books - thank good for them.

Anyway, I'm getting an odd error message and went and searched MS's "knowledge" base last night and didn't get very far, and ran scan disc and that didn't help. Nearly afraid I'm going to have to re-install Windows and really don't want to.

Here's the message: The box's title is Fatal Error, then it says, "Unable to create an instance of required object: FileProxy". It happens when I try to drag a file from one place to another, I first noticed it when dragging files around on the desktop. Curiously, the action (the moving) still happens, even though I get the error message. But, it is aggravating, plus it most be a symptom of more trouble, yet to come?

Thanks!!

Donna

Thanks

Re: Windows Error Message

I got one hit at MS for FileProxy (I used the site search engine):

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q252/5/35.ASP>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q252/5/35.ASP</A>

Beyond that, I would suspect "Active Desktop" and turn that off, if possible.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Error Message

Hi! Thanks for your message. Nice to know you suspect "Active Desktop" because that was floating around the edge of my mind, too, and you concretized it. And, I do remember having some trouble with Active Desktop and I bet that is when this other thing started too.

I have it turned off, and have for a while. hummmm.... just did a search on MS for "Active Desktop" and came up with more information, at least, than with File Proxy. Given that Active Desktop works through IE, I think I'm going to try to re-install IE and see what happens.

Thanks again.
    Donna