3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DVD from PC to TV

My daughter has a laptop (Dell Inspiron) with a DVD player. She has tried to play DVD's through a pigtail cable and audio/video out cables that connect to corresponding "in" connections on her VCR. She gets a blue screen but no DVD. Does the laptop have to have another monitor installed? If so, what are its properties? Is there something else I'm missing?

All suggestions greatly appreciated and gratefully accepted.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: DVD from PC to TV

Does her DVD veiwing software support this?
    Why is she hooking it to the VCR? Is she try to copy the DVD to to the VCR?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Most recent VCRs have a copy-protection scheme buit in that prevents one from being able to plug a DVD signal into them. For those who have TVs without composite inputs, the best way to get from composite to TV is by using an RF Modulator (see Buy.com's selection - around $20 US). Of course, some older VCRs will allow you to input composite and output RF to the TV.

I spent a few bucks on a hardware DVD decoder card a few years back - when DVD players cost $300 or $400. I've had great results with it - and I still use it today. The best thing about the decoder is that it does not require a huge chunk of system resources to watch a DVD because the decoding is all hardware based rather than software. Also, the output to TV is just as perfect as a standard DVD player. Of course, with today's cheap DVD players, it's usually cheaper to buy a REAL DVD player than a DVD drive and decoder card for PC.

HTH

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response, Dave.

Her cable TV is connected to the VCR which is connected to the TV via cable. The TV does not provide audio/video inputs but the VCR does. She is not trying to copy the DVD's but is trying to get them to play in a larger, more visible format for her and her friends.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Check to make sure the VCR is set to accept the Line-in signal. Sometimes this is simply another channel in the up/down scroll, other times, there's a button that needs to be pressed on the remote control.
    Christopher Baldrey

Thanks

To use the S-Video out port on an Inspiron, you have to set up a second display. The way you do this depends on your video chipset. I sketched out the instructions for the ATI chipset, but Dell's page is much more thorough.

How do I display or play video or DVD on my TV using my Dell portable computer with an ATI video chipset?

TT1058305 - How do I play video or DVD on my TV from my Dell portable computer using the NVIDIA GeForce 2 Go video card?

Why is TV-Out (S-Video) disabled on my Dell Inspiron or Latitude portable computer? (If, despite a cable connection, the PC doesn't recognize the existence of the display, Dell suggests various driver and BIOS updates.)

Hope this helps. I know how important it is to the enjoyment of a movie to see it on a big screen. If this doesn't work, the next step is an LCD projector, but the budget might not permit...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the information on S-Video on the Dell Inspiron. I'll give that a try the next time I'm at her place.

BobH