Star Lounger
    Thanks

Separate calendar for private? (OL2k)

I'm a telecommuter. For years I've used OL with "Internet Mail Only", and my calendar has been my own business. Now I'm on Exchange Server. I've decided to move all my personal mail to Outlook Express, which has the practical advantage of letting me easily shut off personal mail when I need to focus on work. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] But now I have the issue of my personal calendar items.

Most people in our little company share calendars (i.e. others can view mine). I can mark my appointments private, but I'd rather not have the company even see them. What do people do about this? Is it foolish of me to share my calendar like this?

One workaround would be to keep my personal appointments in the old .PST file that I still have open (to access the old mails). But I can't get Alarms to go off if they're in the .PST file. Is there any way to do that?

Thanks,
    Dave

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Separate calendar for private? (OL2k)

you could make a second calendar folder in exchange, don't share the folder and get extended reminders from http://www.slovaktech.com.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mary,

From your response, I'm guessing that the reality is: Outlook will only display reminders from a single calendar. --Ah, I see - here' s Woody's comment about the $15 Extended Reminders on the SlovakTech page:
    http://www.slovaktech.com/extendedreminders.htm

That page also explains something that always baffled me - and why on earth would MS have done it this way: Follow Up doesn't work if I move a message to a folder other than the naked Inbox! What a dumb decision! Now I see ... I guess this is $15 that's worth spending, to solve my problem.

Well. I guess that's what I need to know. Thanks.

Dave

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, my first problem was that I'd never known about adding a folder inside Calendar. Nice trick.

Now the question is whether I can move my existing appointments (many anniversaries, birthdays, etc) or have to re-key them all. (I tried exporting them but discovered I don't have import/export installed - I'll have to dig out the CD later.)

Is there any way to view a composite calendar, i.e. a single view containing both items from both the work and personal calendar? (I didn't find it in Help regarding Views - maybe that's not the right place to look?) That's what I need, if someone asks me whether I'm free Tuesday night (for instance).

Thanks!
    Dave

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

drag and drop the items ot the new folder...

no, you can't view a composite calendar AFAIK. Not sure if anything is at slipstick that will help. You might be able to do something with digital dashboards to make it easier to view them together on one page.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

> drag and drop the items ot the new [calendar] folder...

Pardon me for being really thick, but I've been trying to find a way to drag an item out of the existing calendar folder (in the .PST file), and for the life of me I can't do it.

I tried dragging the whole calendar (not allowed) and I tried left- and right-clicking individual appointments (they just move within their day).

?

Dave

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try changing to a different view, such as "By Category" and see if you can drag and drop them then.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

switch to a table view - view | current view. To move all, control A, drag and drop...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

> Try changing to a different view, such as "By Category" and see if you can drag and drop them then.

Magic. Thanks.

Now if I can just find something to let me view both calendars at once...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One way you could try to see both calendars is: open up one calendar, then right-click on the other and select: "Open in new window". Once you have 2 windows open, right click onto the taskbar and select: "Tile Windows Horizontally/Vertically". Hope that helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just to close the loop - I went to SlovakTech.com and spent the $15 for Extended Reminders, and yup, it's exactly what the doctor ordered. Darn good add-in. Thanks for the tip, MJ.