New Lounger
    Thanks

VBE folders - MSForm.exd (Word 97)

I am using Office 97 and Windows98.
    When I open any MS Word document, a new folder is inserted in the folder containing the Word .doc. The new folder is named VBE and contains a file named MSForms.exd.

That is to say: If the word document is in Cata and the only content of the Data folder, after I open the document, I then have CataVBE and the MSForms.exd file is within the VBE folder.
    The MSForms.exd file is always 144KB and seems to always contain the same contents.

After digging through the MS Knowledge Base, all I know is that this has something to do with the Visual Basic Editor and its controls.

I have no idea where this came from. Have run a virus scan and all is well. Any suggestions on how I can stop this VBE folder insertion?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VBE folders - MSForm.exd (Word 97)

This folder is usually created in your TEMP folder. What version of Windows are you using. What is the value of your "TEMP" environment variable. The easiest way to find this second piece of information is to type <font color=blue>ECHO %TEMP%</font color=blue> in a dos command window.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the reply.

ECHO%TEMP% = Echo on
    My OS is Windows 98 4.10.1998

I have now noticed that if Word 97 IS OPEN and I click on a .doc file in Windows Explorer, the VBE folder is NOT inserted. However, if Word is NOT open and I click on a .doc file in Windows Explorer, the VBE folder appears, along with a series of five .TMP files. The .TMP files have names such as ~$DCF005.TMP (0 KB) and ~$DCF186.TMP (0 KB) and ~$DFC005.TMP (2KB) and so on. The TMP file names will change each time.

If I open the .doc file from Word directly, the VBE folder does NOT appear and only one .TMP is present.

All of the .TMP files close out once the .doc file is closed.

A VBE folder containing the 144KB MSForms.exd file is present in both Windows and in WindowsSystem.....but not in WindowsTEMP.

Additionally, I found the same VBE folder under C: and under C:TEMP. I have deleted both of those VBE folders and they have not reappeared (yet).

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

AsStuartR stated, those directories shoul be in your Temp directory.

THere should also be an Excel8.0 directory.
    SEarch your system, it should be in the Temp directory.
    If the Excel8.0 is in the Temp directory, then somrthing odd is happening to th eVBE critter.
    It almost sounds like something in intentionally, or inadvertently, setting the Temp directory to your current directory in Word. I'd say that was a strange bug or a weak virus.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It is starting to look as though you don't have a TEMP environment variable.
    Can you type ECHO %TEMP% again, but this time include a space between the ECHO and the first %.
    If it again says "Echo on" then add the following line to your Autoexec.bat, reboot, and see if it the problem is fixed.
    <pre>set temp=c:windowstemp
    </pre>

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Stuart,

Rather than messing around with ECHO, wouldn't simply typing SET at the command line give the required results (and maybe more). For example, some setups include both TEMP and TMP variables, though I'm not sure whether TMP has any effect on Word.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes,

I just described what I actually do
    It is also probably easier to ensure we get the correct part of the output this way

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart:
    As instructed, did a C:echo %temp% . It too yielded an echo on.

Through SysEdit, examined the autoexec.bat. Found these two lines: SET TEMP= and SET TMP= . I rem'd each of these lines: REM SET TEMP= and REM SET TMP=. Then inserted the line SET TEMP=C:WINDOWSTEMP .
    Did a restart and went to Windows Expolorer. Clicked on a Word .doc file. ----Bingo !!---- Word opened correctly and NO VBE folder and NO ~$******.TMP files were created.

YOU NAILED IT ! --> "applause" [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]). I am delighted. Perhaps this will help resolve some other glitches I've been experiencing.

Question: Given that the autoexec.bat contained the SET TMP= line, do I need do address the TMP factor as well?

Thanks, Stuart.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ran a C:echo %tmp% . It yielded WINDOWSTEMP . I'm assuming all is well with the TMP aspect. (Yes, C:echo%temp% = WINDOWSTEMP now.)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Glad you solved your temp problem. You should delete the extra temp files that may have been accumulating on your system.
    1. Reboot
    2. Search for *.tmp;~*.*
    3. Delete all files that existed before you rebooted.
    Cheers,