New Lounger
    Thanks

Show all except Hidden Text (2002/97)

Any ideas on this one? I can't find a way to see section breaks and such but not view hidden text (specifically index markings).

I write and edit large manuals with extensive indexes. I do not usually want to see the hidden indexing text when I review a manual. However, it is important that I see the types of sections breaks and page breaks and things of that nature to determine if they did it consistent with our (okay, "my") standards and the page just didn't happen to break correctly out of dumb luck (no, I didn't say the users were dumb). Needless to say, viewing all those index markings at the same time just confuses how pages and sections break.

Working in Normal View will show me the breaks, but not details as to what kind, which seem to be only viewable through hidden text. I prefer to work in Print Layout view, and I continually turn hidden text on and off. I just thought I'd ask if anyone has found a clever way to customize.

Thanks in advance.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Show all except Hidden Text (2002/97)

Tools, Options, View. Check what you want to see and uncheck hidden text. Does that work for you?

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, unfortunately. I wish it were that easy. By shutting off Hidden Text, I cannot tell the specifics as to continuous section breaks, odd page section breaks, even page sections breaks, hard page breaks, etc. Those things are essential to our manuals because I need to determine, for instance, that certain types of text will always start on a new odd-numbered page. If I see it without the hidden markings, I may see that the author has the text beginning on a new odd-numbered page, but that may be coincidence. The manuals may be sent back for minor revisions which can throw off the page breaks and if they did not have the proper formatting, the page may then begin on an even-numbered page, or maybe not on a new page of any sort.

The only way that I know of to actually see "continuous section break" or other markings is to Show All. And, by the way, there are certain things (I don't recall each off hand) that will not display if Show All is set to False even if Hidden Text is True. To see all markings, Show All must be true, as far as I can tell.

I was curious, though, because if done through VBA, there is an additional option to the ones shown on the Tools menu: that is the "show optional break". That actually controls whether or not a manual line break will show.

The "optional break" is the only thing I have found in VBA that gives me more control. I was hoping there are more options available in VBA that I haven't found.

Thanks again!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi:
    I'm not sure why you say you can't tell the type of break with ShowAll OFF in normal view. All the breaks, and their types, are shown in normal view with Show/Hide off. Of course, there are other things that you can't see in normal view. I just checked this to be sure in Word 2000 (I don't have 97 available now & don't have 2002 at all). Unless you've modified the Show/Hide command, I'd think you'd be able to tell what kinds of breaks are there in normal view.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I apologize for not making my needs clear. Working in Normal view shows me some things but not others. For instance, we extensively use text boxes and auto shapes in our manuals. So what I wind up doing is switching views and turning options on and off constantly, depending on what I believe are current requirements. Unfortunately, I am not perfect and I am always having to double check to make sure I haven't missed anything.

I think the chances are small, but I was hoping someone might have an idea how I could "show all" except index markings.

Thank you so much for your efforts, though -- it's great to know people care.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi jelehe:
    I'm not a VBA expert, but Woody had an article here about modifying the Show/Hide button. Perhaps it can be modified the way you want.
    Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Phil, actually that article is what gave me the idea that maybe it was possible. I had written Woody and he suggested I try the Lounge.

I don't think it is possible to have it the way I want it.

Thanks to all for their help.