New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel Charts "Bar of Pie" and "Pie of Pie"

I would like some help charting a "Bar of Pie" and/or "Pie of Pie" chart in excel... they are sub-types of the Pie chart in the Chart Wizard... I don't know where to enter the values that would appear in the smaller pie or bar chart.

Thank you!!

Mary Schutz
    schum@nnmt.net

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel Charts

Hi Mary,

These "Bar of Pie" are used to group smaller (typically, but not necessarily) segments of an ordinary Pie (or Bar) chart. For example in a US election there are 2 major parties and may smaller ones. To show the results of an election a bar chart could be used to show the share of votes for each Party. There would be 2 very big segments and many very small ones. A better way to show the results would be to combine all the small parties in one for the main graph and the have a secondary graph to show how that segment is split amongst the smaller groups.

To achieve this you input the data and select the appropriate chart type. Just accept all the defaults until you have the chart in place. Then select the pie chart and click <big>Ctrl-1</big> and a Format Data Series (or Format Data Point, it does not matter)dialog should pop. Select Options, Split Series by : Value (you can change this). Beneath that enter the highest value of the group you want to combine, and then you should have your "Bar of Pie" chart in place. Experiment with the different options.

Hope this clear,

regards
    AC

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel Charts

Dear AC... your directions were very clear, and I was able to exactly as I had wanted... I have tried many times, and couldn't get the right fields to be reflected in the second chart... but now I can... Thank you so much for your help!!
    Mary