Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

YADQ (Yet Another Dumb Question...) (WXP Home)

After recent travails associated with having my hard drive crash and having to go to the computer doctors to restore XP Home, I've been following the excellent advice on this forum about creating password administrator acounts, getting Drive Image, etc.

I've reloaded various software (e.g. Office 97) and find that I seem to be able to see it only in the original account the service centre set for me, which I've renamed to Zulu user with a password and administrators rights. That is, in creating user accounts for myself and my wife, and then opening those users, I cannot access Office 97, although other software loaded on the Zulu user is accessible.

I can't believe i must load up different sets of software for each user, so I must be doing something obviously wrong.

Can someone point me to the simple answer please?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: YADQ (Yet Another Dumb Question...) (WXP Home)

Is it that the programs is NOT listed in the menu or it it that when you select the entry in the menu the Office programs will NOT open?

When you installed Office it may have asked if you wanted ALL users to have access. I know when I install Office 2000 or 2002 (XP) it does. If you say NO then the setup is for the installing account only.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office doesn't show in the menu which comes up under the Programs button in the bottom left. It's a bit bizarre, as other software does indeed show both in the program list and as icons on the desktop in both the user accounts I'd set up.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

When installing Office, do it from Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs | Add New Programs (an icon on the left) - called Installation Mode - rather than running Setup from Explorer or using Autorun.

Thanks

What about other non-M$ software that do not show up in the program list of other users? And what if the progz are downloaded to, say, the desktop rather than having media available?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

When you down load to your screen that is the only place you will find it. It is the worst place to down load anything.

If it is a program, most need to be installed, and then they will appear in the menu, if it meets the requirements of the OS. This is NOT a MS problem but a problem the the writers of the program who are NOT following the requirements of the OS.

Also if they do not appear in the other users menus, then the program is NOT meet the requirements of NT, 2K Me, and XP and was written for a 98 or earlier OS.

Thanks

<hr>When you down load to your screen that is the only place you will find it. It is the worst place to down load anything.
    <hr>
    So what you have said here without saying it directly is that were I to download software to my desktop and install from there, it will only appear in that user's environment, but if I were to download it to, say, C:WINDOWSTemp and installed from there, it would appear globally - is this correct?

Here are apps that are signed for XP installed that did not appear in other user programs :

Xara 3D4, AB Commander, RegVac 1.06, Alteros Viewer 2.1, IrfanView 3.75, Ad-aware 5.8, WindowWasher 4.5, Webshots 1.3, and Pop-Up Stopper 2.6

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In windows XP the temp file under Windows will not be used unless the user directs it there. Normaly each user has a temp folder under ther account name the the "Documents and stting" folder.

One can also make a "download" folder in the Document and setting" folder for each user or under "My Douments" and would not appear globally

Thanks

Were I to download it to C:WINDOWSTemp upon my direction and installed from there, would it appear globally ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Again, <font color=red>IF the program meets NT, Me, 2K and XP requirements and is given the MS seal of approval</font color=red> <font color=blue>(which a lot do NOT)</font color=blue> SHOULD ask if you want ALLusers to have ACCESS. If not then it will most likely be only in the menu of the account used to install it.

That said, ANY menu listing in a user only menu, can be moved to the AllUser menu and then ALL users will have access to it. If you COPY it to that folder you will have 2 copies appear in the user menu that the program was installed with.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've always thought that some day this would jump up and bite me, but what Dave expounds is what I've been doing for some time now on Windows 2000 and Windows XP machines. I copy all entries in the start menu from my normal logon to the "all users" logon so they appear if my son or whomever uses this machine. Since we're still big fans of icons on the desktop for frequently used programs, I do the same thing there - copy all entries from MY desktop to the "all users" desktop. As Dave said, there are "misbehaving" programs that won't run if another user tries, but luckily they're at a minimum these days.

As an aside, Bruce, if you're saving downloaded stuff to the desktop, regardless of whose, you're really taking a chance. One false swipe of a mouse and you could lose something. I'd really pick some folder on your drive to download to. I use a Temp folder of MY creation for downloads, that way I know what hasn't been dealt with yet.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gosh - my simple (simplistic...?) question has all the gurus posting furiously.

My dilemma remains. I've reloaded various software programs, using their builtin setups - Office 97 among other newer ones. I follow all their default setup suggestions re: folders, icons, etc, which has served well in the past - including my first install of XP Home.

I still can see only some of these programs in other than the default administrator user profile - now called Zulu (Thanks BigAlDoc - although I'm leaning to Omega or something equally final at this point.)

I find also that Drive Image requires more than a little computer knowledge to have it do its job properly, and I fear that I'm stumbling badly in some of its settings for imaging the base hard drive.

Nevertheless, I have basic computing services back, I'm backed up six ways from Sunday, and I will dream of MicroSoft in my nightmares.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't want to overrun you, Dave, with too much in the way of detailed instructions (tips), but if you want, We can get together in PMs and I'll send you some screenshots of this that I'm about to say. I usually open TWO instances of Windows Explorer and then right-click on the Taskbar and select Tile Vertically. In the right pane, I open the default logon's Start Menu, Programs. In the left pane, I open the All Users Start Menu, Programs. I then highlight everything in the default logon pane and right-drag it to the All Users pane, selecting COPY. Then, no matter who logs on, they will have all the programs listed in their Start Menu. There should be hardly anything that will not run. As I said, let me know if you want to go into this outside the thread and I'll be happy to make up some screenshots to send to you. Works for me (us).....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Just a reminder - it is vitally important that unless the software specifies otherwise you should install from an account with administrator rights. This is so that all modifcations, registration, etc. are OK.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree, Joe, and he's already said that he's doing that. My assumption also is that you wouldn't do ANY "monkeying" around with your system unless you're logged on with administrative rights!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast