Star Lounger
    Swift Current, Sask. Canada, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Thanks

Mailmerge Word 2K

I am combining a receipt on a letter and need to print a sequential number on each receipt starting with say 3001, but neither Merge record or Merge sequence will let me specify the start number. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Mailmerge Word 2K

What is your data source? Perhaps it's just as easy (or easier) to put the number there?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi SP:

You can accomplish what you want by using the Formula

<center>{ = ({ MERGEREC } + XXX) * MERGEFORMAT }
    where XXX = one digit less than your desired start number</center>
    Note: You cannot paste this, but must use either the Insert / Field method or Ctrl+F9. When you insert the field in the main document it may give you a syntax error.[img]/w3timages/icons/yikes.gif[/img] However, once merged, it will work.[img]/w3timages/icons/yep.gif[/img]
    Karen

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So, if I wanted to use this concept as a springboard to create bates labels I hit a dead end because I don't have a data source defined. I would need to be able to do a merge process without one. I knew how to do that in other software but I'm stimied in doing so in Word. How would I make a main document that knows to merge through a series of numbers - from a start number to an ending number with no data source involved?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nope. But you could use sequence fields. The first one on the page would look like
    PTY-{ SEQ Bates # "00000" r XXX } (where PTY designates either the party or firm initials, and XXX is whatever your starting number is.

Your macro could ask for the starting number and put it there, then ask for how many, and replicate with n instead of r XXX, so that each subsequent label had PTY-{ SEQ Bates # "00000" n }
    Karen

BAM

Hi,

This article from the MS Word MVP FAQ site might be what you are looking for:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/NumberCopiesOfDocMMerge.htm
    >http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/Nu...OfDocMMerge.htm</A>
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

*** Geoff W URL Markup added ***