4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Best Way to Save Web Based Email to Hard Drive (IE 6)

I've begun to use OLE, OL more, but still use Yahoo and some Hotmail accounts for convenience and to receive certain email subscriptions because they're free, and easy to clasify for certain daily emails (NY Times, CNET News, ect.). It also leaves space for my ISP email which uses OLE and has a 10MB limit, giving me 2MB with Hotmail and now 4MB web boxes. I would appreciate knowing the best way to "save" the email to the hard drive. I have begun to paste it into Word because this seems to work fine, and then it also gets somewhat "protected" from any kind of System Restore gizmo, either MS's very weak version, or Roxio Go Back or Farstone's RestoreIT! by depositing these saves in My Documents which is a little safer from a C Drive crash over on my D Drive. But I wanted to use the best method, and the one people experienced for years with Email clients, Word, and different OS's use.

I tried using File>Save As>Web Archive, single File *.mht which works very well for some web pages that won't save as Web Page Complete, (*.htm, *.html) but this dialogue box from File on the IE6 toolbar works only until you delete the email, and then instead of what I thought I successfully saved, I'm left with the current empty in box. So that doesn't work.

Would appreciate the best way to save this email to the hard drive--and I guess there are places on the web springing up that let you store there.

I would also like to know what the different pull downs mean in that "Save AS" dialogue box that comes up from the IE toolbar, i.e. what the difference is from the four pulldowns categorized under "Save As Type" particularly what .mht stands for. Looked once, got a definition but not an explanation of the differences between the functionality of all four. Books don't seem to hit it.

Thanks,

defrag

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: Best Way to Save Web Based Email to Hard Drive (IE 6)

To save as a mail message, with the headers, etc., you can scrape your webmail into Outlook Express or another POP3 program using a connector such as Web2Pop.

The MHT "web archive" is a more or less MIME-compliant file that combines all of the elements of the web page, including its HTML code, style sheet and graphics. They can be very large, because all binary characters have to be encoded as plain text, but it is handy to have a single file. Very portable. There are some utilities up at MS to "unpack" MHT archives, and to make it possible to open them in Word, should you want to. My main beef with them is that when attached to messages in Outlook, they look like file attachments on the sending end, but behave like inserted mail items on the receiving end. This makes them difficult to save at that point. My less important gripe is that if you edit the HTML file generated by opening the MHT in IE, you cannot see the results of your edits until you save it under a new name; IE (5.5 SP2) just will not refresh it properly.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks much because I tried hard to search for info on the "Save as type" files and the "Web archive, single file *mht file" and the different types of 'archiving' on the "Save As" pull down, and I came up empty. I did have a download for awhile that would put an icon in the sys tray that would save as an "mht." I will read over this and try to make it work. This has bothered me for some time.
    I'll take your suggestion with OLE and should be able to since my ISP uses it for their accounts. How do you feel about trying to paste a web based in box in to Word 2002--when you want to open up an email, you are prompted to hit Ctrl+ Mouse Click which is a little strange--will this work to paste into Word?

Do you know where I can read up on the 4 options on the "Save as type" in the "Save as Web Page" dialogue box? I'm trying to understand why certain web pages just will not save as .htm or .html at all, but will save as .mht's. What is so unique about .mht ?

Thanks

Thanks for the help,

defrag

Thanks

How do you feel about trying to paste a web based in box in to Word 2002--when you want to open up an email, you are prompted to hit Ctrl+ Mouse Click which is a little strange--will this work to paste into Word?

I don't think this will save the actual messages, and you probably will be thrown back to a logon screen if your session has been closed or has timed out. Doesn't really work as a backup.

Do you know where I can read up on the 4 options on the "Save as type" in the "Save as Web Page" dialogue box? I'm trying to understand why certain web pages just will not save as .htm or .html at all, but will save as .mht's. What is so unique about .mht ?

I went to Microsoft and searched "web archive" and various other things for a few hours because of questions and problems I had with them. Not sure why some pages don't save; each one might have an individual quirk. Sometimes IE stops allowing me to View Source. When this happens, restarting IE helps.