Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Record Locking (A2000 SR1)

Hi all.

My Db is FE/BE and was wondering which record locking system is more appropiate for this set up.

Ideally two users can work on the same record at once, but not lose any information.
    I find it almost impossible for two users to jump out of a record at the very same precise moment.
    The Microsoft error handler for this looks to be un professional and holds room for improvement.

If any one has any advice on this, please do share info.

Regards
    Dave

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Record Locking (A2000 SR1)

First, there are two basic options for Access 2000, page locking and record locking (this really only applies to the back-end). Beyond that, there are three choices for locking, none, edited record, and all records. Depending on the choices you make you will get different error messages when a conflict situation arises. In addition, you can write your own error handler if you are so inclined in order to present a user friendly message.

<<Ideally two users can work on the same record at once, but not lose any information.
    I find it almost impossible for two users to jump out of a record at the very same precise moment.>>

If you mean two people editing the same record at the same time and not losing any information, I don't know of any system that will do that, Access included. And it isn't an issue of both users exiting a record at the same time. The dilema is when one user starts editing a record, and then another user starts to edit. Depending on which one finishes first, and the locking strategy you've chosen, someone has to get an error message indicating their changes can't be saved.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To expand on Wendell's remarks, if you build a system with multiuser use in mind, you usually create a highly normalized schema, which reduces the need for people to edit the "same" record at the same time. If both user are working on the data relating to a particular customer, for example, but one is editing the address and another is editing the phone number, they won't collide if those two pieces of information are stored in separate tables. If the address and phone number are stored in a single record, then they will collide, and properly so.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Wendell & Charlotte for the insight.

This gives me the advice I was after.

It is rare that a record would be edited at the same time by two operators, but still, it is a possibility.
    I am confident my tables are set up correctly, so it shouldn't cause me too much concern.

Thanks again

Dave