New Lounger
    Thanks

Using custom templates from 97 with Word 2000 (2000)

I created a template in Word 97 and want to use the same template file *.dot in Word 2000. What is the approprate path to place the file? I am in a networked environment so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using custom templates from 97 with Word 2000 (2000)

In order to give you an answer, we need some more information...
    <UL><LI>What operating system are you running? (Windows 2000 and Windows98 use different locations for templates)
    <LI>Is this a document template or a global template? (A global template is available when any document is open, a document template is only available to documents that are attached to it)
    <LI>Is this a template that is shared by lots of people on a network and modified by the network managers, or is it just for use by one or two people on their onw PCs?[/list]StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

On the network I am dealing with PCs with machines running Windows 2000 and Windows NT. This is a document template. The document template is to be used by about 11 people in one group. Not to be updated alot at all.

Thanks for responding!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You have 2 choices

1. <LI>Copy the template to any location on the network and set the WorkGroup Templates path on all the PCs to point to this location. This can be done from the Word user interface (Tools > Options > File Locations > WorkGroup Templates > Modify) or by running a Word Macro containing the code
      <font color=blue>Options.DefaultFilePath(Path:=wdWorkgro upTemplatesPath) = "serversharefolder"</font color=blue>
      <LI>Copy the template to the local user templates location on each PC. This is at the place specified in Tools > Options > File Locations > User Templates. On Windows 2000 this will usually be Cocuments and SettingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftTemplates, I can't remember where it is on NT4.
    StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Depending on how your network is administered, you could also consider creating a folder with eg. the groups name in C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeTemplates (you'll then have it as a separate tab in "File" - "New")
    Bests,
    RD

PS: Wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness," but that doesn't work

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the response! This does help me!