2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Report: Keeping a Textbox's label with text box (Access 2000)

I've got a report that has growable text boxes who's linked labels are above them on the form. If the text boxes grow enough to push controls onto another page, the textbox sometimes separates from its label. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Something like the "Keep with Next" paragraph property in Word?

Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Report: Keeping a Textbox's label with text box (Access 2000)

Not a clue if this will solve your problem, but.... Have you tried using a subreport with the detail section set to Keep Together? Or perhaps a frame around the textbox/label?

Just some ideas....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've tried several of the graphical objects (boxes, lines, etc) to no avail. I haven't tried the subreport idea, however. It might be worth a try. I wonder if there might be a way in code to handle this?

Thanks for the input.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You mean something like if the textbox and label fall on different pages, then move the label up one page? Interesting....

The only reason I'd hesitate to do that myself is that I usually end up with pretty complex reports. You'd have to do this on format, and then it'd cost you response time as the report reformats itsself for each textbox.

I love these complexly strange formatting issues!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You aren't actually separating the textbox from its label, which is what's confusing you. The label is printing just as it should, above the control. However, if the textbox grows big enough, the *rest* of it prints on the next page. The label can't know that and neither can the report, so the simple answer is No, you can't do that and there is no equivalent to the Word capability, which is at the paragraph level anyhow, and that doesn't exist in Access.

Depending on how your data looks and how the report is laid out, you might be able to create a group on whatever value determines the contents of the text box. Then you would be able to put the label for that text box and any adjacent to it in the group head, which can repeat on the next page.
    Charlotte