New Lounger
    Thanks

Odd normal.dot behaviour (Word 97 SR-2, Win 95)

Help! My system seems to have developed a bizarre quirk over the last couple of weeks. I'm hoping someone here can give me some guidance.

Every time I start my system, it prompts me that changes have been made to the normal.dot template and do I want to save the changes. If I do, and then start Word, and go into the VBA editor, it will have dropped a new module named Module 2 (or Module 3 if 2 exists). I thought it might be a flakey normal.dot, so once I was out of Word, I renamed normal.dot to normal.bak. I then re-booted the system, without opening Word in the meantime, and I receive the same message. I'm running up to date virus software and it scans everything without complaining.

I thank you in advance for your consideration of this strangeness.

Greg Ward

Thanks

Re: Odd normal.dot behaviour (Word 97 SR-2, Win 95)

Have you installed any software that loads an add-in into Word? If you check your Templates and Add-ins dialog, you can see the templates that might automatically load at start-up. There are several threads here on the Word board about how to start up "clean," including the following "general test":

Close Word.
    Click the Windows Start button, Run..., type winword.exe /a and press Enter.

If you don't get the error, and you've already ruled out a problem with Normal.dot (note, there might be more than one Normal.dot), then it would be logical to suspect the add-ins. Or perhaps even a weird shortcut.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

AV software can detect only known viri.

I doubt that any 3rd party add-in would be adding a module named "moduleN" to Normal.
    I would guess thiat it's a vrus.

Have you looked at the code in the module?
    P.S.: It would not be a good idea to post the code here, as that might encourage copycats, if it is indeed a virus.

P.P.S. The lounge should have a stated policy on not posting suspected viri.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello, Jefferson

Thank you! It appears OmniPage 11.0 (which was installed about a month ago) is loading an ocr-aware routine on start-up and shut-down. It doesn't show up in the templates/add-ins as OmniPage 9.0 did, but seems to be executing opware32.exe and an API call. I think it may be a little quirky, and I've just noticed a large patch on the ScanSoft website. I'll try applying the patch and see what happens.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Howard
    Thank-you for your suggestions. There was no code in the new modules being created, but when I started with a clean normal.dot, the code appeared in module 1. As I said in my reply to jscher2000, I'm sure OmniPage is the culprit. Thanks again for taking the time to asssist with my problem.
    Greg

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Would not surprise me if a commercial product produced such an incompetent add-in.
    However, you need to examine the code CAREFULLY.

Bitch, holler, and moan to OmniPage, and in a newsgroup that gives the issue wide exposure.
    I expect that you will find allies, if OmniPage is the culprit.