4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Some links won't go live

I have noticed that a few links even though accurate won't go live and I am giving them correct URL's. Here's one, and the one for teoma, the browser wouldn't go live and now will same URL.
    Never had this problem before.

Amazon's list of XP Books

Appreciate knowing why.

Thanks,

defrag

Thanks

Re: Some links won't go live

Could you clarify that?

>> ..the one for teoma, the browser wouldn't go live and now will same URL

What is teoma?
    What do you mean by the browser wouldn't go live?

Your Amazon link seems to work as a link, albeit that it comes back with an error page from Amazon.

Thanks

Certain characters in a link will truncate it as a result of the way the Lounge software works. I think [square brackets] will do that.

In other cases, such as perhaps this one, the number in the link is a session ID or some other contextual indicator that expires after a short time or depends on a cookie on your computer.

<font color=blue>Additional Note</font color=blue>

To get a search link from Amazon, click "More results" and then "Previous" and check out the immensely long URL. That's the one you need. Like this to search for books with PHP in the title: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...g=1/ref=s_b_pp/ (I removed that number from the end... I think it's personally identifying.)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif--Sure.

Was trying to post with two different links that wouldn't "go live." The first one was for the search engine that Rutgers University developed and released late last year called Teoma--said to be not as extensive in hits as Google but to be "richer in depth down the list" and more precise in hitting the niche of info you want. I use it's Search Bar on my toolbar along with Google--but have such a reflex to go to Google I don't use it as much. MSN Search also will give some different, interesting and valuable searches. But to the point . I put up the link to Teoma like this one here which works just fine now but didn't last night for a short while--a couple hours and then did.
    In the second case, where I was trying to make it easy for someone to see some of the XP
    books I suggested, for the last few I just named them and put up the Amazon XP book "gallary" so she could easily check them out. But it gives this "browser bug" message--even though I have from the start configured my browser to comport with the Lounge's suggestion and I am giving the link molecule for molecule that will get me to Amazon's XP Book Section if I put that url in the address bar of any browser IE flavors, netscape, mozilla, opera. Doing the url live link thing gets the bug screen from Amazon instead of getting http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...7311711-3712911 this which takes you to Amazon's XP books. Just to make sure it still doesn't work, I'll try again now to live link it--in case I'm getting the phenomenon where someone goes to the doc with a rash on their arm and while they're in the waiting room the rash goes away Amazon's XP Section--can I get there today--no I still can't even though I pasted the exact message from the book site I gave you above in non-live form. Try yourself if you don't mind. Paste the regular text url in your browser and you'll go to Amazon's correct XP book site, but try to do it the usual way and you'll go to the bug screen with the identical url. Bottom line, the teoma link and any other I try works fine to go live, but the Amazon link won't.

defrag

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson--I'm using the immensely long url. I have been linking occasionally to Amazon on a book post or wherever I can find the best description and sample chapters available of a particular book so the person can get the best grip on it. Here's an example of two links from Amazon's site. The first one works:

and takes you to Woody's All in One Windows XP for Dummies--no problem

but this one....taken from the page which I have no trouble reaching in any browser in this machine in the address bar, won't work when I paste it into the lounge doing exactly the correct thing. I have made mistakes when I'm tired--the other day somehow I had an extra http in a link and that'll get you Mr. 404 of course, so will a period or a space or a spec off the url but here I'm correctly 1) pasting 2) prefixing it with bracket url equals--don't want to do it because it will blue this paragraph--I tried that 3) closing the url and then putting in my yada yada yada description and it's only going to take you to the bug screen. Look at this Jefferson-- if you paste this in your browser, you'll get Amazon's list of 170 XP books:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...712911--nothing is wrong with the link. Same browser seconds apart--link in address bar will get you there--link taken live in the format we use won't. And the link will work in other brands of browser I named just fine. It's a glitch. There's no time out problem, there's no cookie problem. We're talking back to back in a couple seconds. Please try it. You'll get the bug screen on the second Amazon link, but I can get you any other place on Amazon, including Woody's XP for Dummies making any other link live on that site or anywhere else.

defrag

Thanks

Please read my post again. The number in your short link, 102-7311711-3712911, is personal to you or to your session. No one else can use that number to get your search results. To create an Amazon search link that works, use the procedure I described to get a fully parameterized URL. You will see what I mean if you go through the steps. (Also, that same strategy works for Lounge searches.)

The reason that the individual book links work is that they contain the ISBN number:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764515489/qid=1031337037/ {trailing miscellany removed}

That number will work for everyone on the web; it is not user or session specific. Hope this helps.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks--will do.

defrag