Alan Dale

Opening in varioous folders

When I used Word 2, I had a start menu telling Word to open and save in different folders, organised by 6 groups of clients. Is it possible to do this in Word 97, which is programmed to dump everything into the default folder?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening in varioous folders

Alan,

It's possible. But I'm not sure where you want to achieve this.

I assume that in when you want to save a document, it gives you the choice of a number of different folders, and the user has to select which one.

Is this what you're after? If not, can you explain a little more?
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Alan Dale

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have a start menu with six client groups, A - F. Each client group then has a sub-menu for Documents, Accounts, etc. What I want to achieve is that when I select Documents for a particular sub-group, Word immediately opens in the folder dedicated to it. (What I don't want is to dump everything into My Documents. Each client group folder can contain many hundreds of documents and I need to keep them separate. Each is also backed up separately.) All of this was simple in WOrd 2 - if I set up a menu item telling word to open in a particular folder, it just did it automatically. Subsquent versions of Word are a great leap backwards in this respect.)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If only one client's documents will be edited any any one time you could include a macro with the following code example

<big><center><font color=448800> Options.DefaultFilePath(Path:=wdDocumentsPath) = "CocumentsClient X"</font color=448800></center></big>
    with a different directory for each client. You could then restore the normal default document path when closing.

That code sets the default path for documents as used by File Open or File Save As, so therefore if you have documents for 2 clients open at the same time you will have unpredictable results, and would not be a suitable approach.

AC

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Can you add the six document folders to your Favourites list so that each one can be chosen when saving the documents. Or add six shortcuts in the default directory and select the one you want when you get pushed there.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

<font color=008080>
    > If only one client's documents will be edited any any one time you could include a macro with the following code example
    >
    > Options.DefaultFilePath(Path:=wdDocumentsPath) = "CocumentsClient X"
    >
    >with a different directory for each client. You could then restore the normal default document path when closing.
    </font color=008080>

I have a (marginally) related question. How can you change the default document path system wide so that the FileOpen dialog doesn't always open in that damn My Documents directory? (It wouldn't be so frustrating if it at least remembered where you last opened/saved but noooo it has to start in My Documents each time). Is this in the Registry somewhere?

<font face="BrushScript BT">Thanks</font face=brush>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried Tools|Options|File Locations? You can change the default Open folder in it.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Alan:

Would the Places Bar (I think it's called) help you? There's a link at this thread <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd&Number=6491&page=&view= &sb=&vc=1>http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.p...&view=&sb=&vc=1</A>

I'm not sure that's what you want, but it might help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Phil and Alan

I think the Places Bar is not available in Word97. It is a Word 2000 thing. Word 97 will use shortcuts and Favourites though which is a similar implementation of the same thing.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

Hi Alan,
    It depends on how much work you want to do. If you record macros opening a document in each of your client folders that will give you the VBA code to change the temporary default file open directory. (Delete the part that actually opens a file.) You could assign these macros to toolbar buttons. I would advise keeping the toolbar and the macros in a global template.

See: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm>Template Basics</A> (www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm) for more on templates (user and workgroup), global templates and Normal.dot.

If you wanted to get even more sophisticated, you could use a custom document property of ClientFolder. Your global could contain a macro that checks each document as it is opened / created for this document property. If it doesn't exist it could give you a menu of the client folders, let you pick one, and then insert that document property. When the document is the active document, you could use the document property to set the default save folder for that document.

This would require that you have a macro that monitors the document_change event. I haven't ever done this but a web page that describes how to do it is on the MVP website at:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/PseudoAutoMacros.htm>How to create global event procedures similar to AutoOpen, AutoNew and AutoClose, without using Normal.dot</A>.

Sounds as if it was a lot simpler in Word 2. [img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img] Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

Andrew is correct that the Places Bar is not available pre-Word 2000. Otherwise, this would be an ideal use for Woody's PlaceBar Customizer.

Another thought. What's wrong with putting your six client folders in My Documents and clicking on the folder. I have a Clients folder in My Documents and then a separate folder for each client (sometimes with subfolders for different cases). I keep everything (Word, Excel, txt files) in that folder and try to have it mirror my paper file, at least for in-house produced items. (I also use similar folders in PaperPort for scanned items.)
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin