Thread: Lost servers

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost servers

At various times if I go into server manager or Explorer I can't connect to our PDC. I can ping it successfully by name or IP address but can't see it. The server is up and running fine (been in the server room and kicked it) and others in the office can see it fine - then later I can see it and they can't.
    Checked switches etc and can't see any problem.
    Any thoughts?

As an aside - when you ping what answers? Is it direct back from the NIC or is it the machine?

thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Lost servers

Bryan, A service on the machine replies to a ping. What kind of connection are you using LAN or dial-up? Do you have anything set for automatic disconnection after a certain period of inactivity? Are you logged into the domain at the time? Are you running SP6A & up-to-date on hotfixes? Is there a specific error message? Anything in the event log on the server or workstation? What OS is the workstation running?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for the ping info Joe

ok I'm on a LAN nothing remote - logged in to domain and can access other servers & mapped drives ok
    Server is NT 6A, my workstation is 2000 pro but we also get this on others running 95/98. This 'losing' isn't restricted to the PDC it just causes most hassle. I can ping it but in network neighbourhood it just doesn't exist - drive mappings to it are lost - if I didn't know it was there running away happily I would think it had just died. Give it 10 min and it's back again. Driving me nuts.
    Thought it was down to comms probs but we've checked just about everything checkable and nothings come up - stumped.

Nothing set to disconnect and on a good day it will be fine all day - bad day I might lose it 3-4 times. Puzzle is when I lose it others can still see it then vice versa.
    Nothing in logs

thanks

Administrator
    Thanks

Bryan, Are you running SP2 on the Win2k workstations? Is there anything in the event log on your workstation or the server? When you say the mappings are lost do you mean that they no longer appear in Windows explorer or appear with a red X?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

my w/s is 2000/SP2
    nothing in logs on server or w/s
    mapping still appears in explorer but if you try to open it it fails "error occurred while reconnecting" - mapings on whatever server generally get red x after 30 min or so but open up fine if selected.

When it goes it still appears in the server manager listing but if I try to select it I get "the network path was not found" - checked the msg cos the damn thing just disappeared again!

Administrator
    Thanks

Bryan, With other machines having the same problem it could be that the server has a hardware problem. Have you checked its NIC? Maybe installed a new one? Checked the server network cable? Any other hardware changes? Wasn't sure from your previous post if 'comms problem' included hardware stuff. Sorry if this is redundant.

Joe
    Joe