5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WIN 98 SE vs WIN ME

I am helping a friend who has a COMPAQ with WIN ME. He was getting lots of error messages and BSODs so we decided to do a RESTORE using the RESTORE disks from COMPAQ. What a nightmare. I am running RESTORE for the 3rd time and it does not look like I am going to get any of the "compaq" software and features that were on the system before. Seems all we get is WIN ME with the various drivers. If that is the case, I am thinking, why not just revert back to WIN 98 SE. We do have a full version of WIN 98 SE available. What are your thoughts?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WIN 98 SE vs WIN ME

Were it me....

I would run screaming from Windows ME, especially an OEM version of same. Put 98 on, patch 'er up, and I bet dollars to donuts life gets better almost immediately.

FYI, those restore CDs are supposed to revert the system to its factory state - preloaded crap and all. I always demand a full install CD, and wipe the machine clean - OEMs add a lot of garbage that will result in instability. Throw ME in there, and you're begging for trouble, because it's not stable to begin with!
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WIN 98 SE vs WIN ME

Hey Mark, your encouragement was all I needed. Stopped the silly Compaq effort to restore - man you should see all the hoops they have you jump through - delete all partitions, then need to press CAPS LOCK on first Screen and NUM Lock on second screen and finally ALT-Q - and those instructions are only to be found if you dig deep into their support forum on line. What about the poor devil whose system has crashed and has no access to the net. And the garbage they add into the RESTORE. Got WIN 98 SE loaded, updated and all other programs up and running. System is chugging along wonderfully. Thanks again.