New Lounger
    Thanks

How can I join a domain during the initial setup (OEM/Pre-install)

We have started purchasing PCs with Windows XP Pro pre-installed. With a W2K pre-install you are given the option of naming the computer, joining a domain and adding a domain user to the local system users before the first logon. Then you can logon as the domain user and never have to create any local system-only user profiles.

With XP this does not seem to be the case. I am given no opportunity to join the domain in the initial out-of-the-box setup. I am forced to give XP at least one user name which it will use to create a logon profile. To make this even worse, I am given no prompt to change the local Administrator account password (Which is blank by default), so I have to remember to do this after the initial setup. If the XP setup cannot add the system to the domain for some reason at least I should be allowed to logon using the local Administrator account, which is always there, rather than having to create a useless local user account.

Am I missing something very obvious here? Is there an easy work-around for this or am I stuck with it on all new OEM PCs?

Thanks,
    Aunty Dan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How can I join a domain during the initial setup (OEM/Pre-install)

Dan,

You can also do the same with Windows XP. By default, the installation will activate the Welcome screen and Fast User Switching, which is why you don't have the option to log on to a domain.

There are two ways that you can work around this:
    1. <LI>Create an installation script that disables these functions. This can be done using the setupmgr.exe tool, located on the Windows XP installation CD in the folder <CD-ROM drive>:SUPPORTTOOLSDEPLOY.CAB. Extract the files to a hard drive location, and run setupmgr.exe. The prompts are fairly easy to follow. Once you answer some basic questions, you'll end up with the dialog show in the attached screen shot. This is where you can define the Domain settings.<LI>The second method is useful when XP is already installed. Go into the Control Panel and select Users and Groupsand then Change the way users log on or off. (This applies to the new Control Panel View). From there, you can disable the Welcome screen and Fast User Switching, after which you will see something that looks a lot more like the standard Windows 2000 logon screen.
    I don't think it's something obvious - the so-called useability enhancements are hard to figure out for someone coming from the old school of Windows, although they are great for newer users. I make a habit of turning all the newer features off (except for the new Start Panel, which I like).

HTH,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How can I join a domain during the initial setup (OEM/Pre-install)

Thanks for the reply Mark. I'll look at the installation script option, but what I was hoping was to find a method I can apply to the OEM pre-installed systems I am getting during their first boot. The second option requires me to boot and logon first, which means creating a local user account I;m never going to use before I can get to the option to remove it!