New Lounger
    Thanks

Hyperlinks (Word 97)

Is there a way to turn off the Word prompt to save a document before you create a hyperlink? Once I set a bookmark, I can then hyperlink to it by using ALT+I+I, but then it prompts you to save the document ... every time! If it can be turned off that would be great, because I am going to be hyperlinking 250+ pages, and it's really irritating. Can anybody help?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hyperlinks (Word 97)

This only occurs because you have not saved the document being edited at all and the path of this document is necessary to resolve relative hyperlinks.

The easiest solution is to save the file, once, at the start, and then the message will not recur. (If this is a problem use a 'dummy' file name. However this may have strange effects on relative hyperlinks if the dummy file is placed in a different location.)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Teresa, I just compared hyperlink with cross reference. Do you NEED to use hyperlink? Adding a cross-reference to a bookmark creates a hyperlink by default.....you can easily add Insert-Cross reference to your toolbar. Once I chose bookmark that way, bookmark was again selected the next time I hit the toolbar button. Seems this ought to do the trick for you if you've created efficient bookmarks, that is.

New Lounger
    Thanks

We are using DOCS Open and the document has been saved. Not only that, even if I type one word in a brand new document and save it, you still get the same prompt to save ....?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know what DOCS Open is. However, do you have any fields in these files, such as a field that automatically inserts a file name and date? Something like that?

New Lounger
    Thanks

DOCS Open is a document management program integrated with Word. There are no fields in the files. I tend to think it may have something to do with the DOCS Open integration. Are you able to insert a hyperlink in a Word document without getting a prompt to save?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, Teresa. But I've given you a workaround that you apparently cannot use.

Thanks

I'm using Word 2000. If I create a hyperlink to a bookmark in the same document, I don't get any kind of prompt whatsoever. I don't know if this is a difference between Word 97 and Word 2000...or whether I've missed the point?

You could try working around it with a macro. I posted a macro at some point that created a drop-list of bookmarks on a custom toolbar, and when a bookmark was selected, the macro would do a goto. In this case, you could have the macro apply a hyperlink to the selected bookmark for the selected text. Does that sound like it might be worth a try?

Afterthought: On the off chance that this is related to the DOCS Open integration, you could (shhh!!) use the Word command list in the Macros dialog to run the internal Word command:

1. <LI>Press Alt+F8 to open the Macros dialog. (If this is disabled on your set-up, then I guess they're serious.)

<LI>Change the Macros in: drop-down control from All Active Templates (or whatever) to Word Commands.

<LI>Select InsertHyperlink and click Run.
    Anything different happen?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jefferson:
    The behavior in Word 2000 is different than Word 97. There is no prompt in 2000. When you try to insert a hyperlink in Word 97 on an unsaved document, you get the prompt. But once the document is saved, there is no prompt. But apparently, Docs Open. which I'm not familiar with, causes a prompt. One thing I miss in 2000 is that Word 97 had a checkbox in the Insert/Hyperlink dialog box that allowed you to insert a full or relative path; Word 2000 doesn't give you the choice.

Thanks

Ah, maybe DOCS Open is changing the document after saving it. So perhaps the answer is a macro. This one started out simple, but because the dialog always returns true regardless of what the user did, I had to do extra work to do it accurately:

<pre>Sub InsertHyper()
    'To avoid annoying prompt, tell Word (temporarily) that the
    ' document has no unsaved changes
    Dim blnSavedState As Boolean, lngHyperCount As Long
    With ActiveDocument
    'store true "saved state" of document
    blnSavedState = .Saved
    'tell Word there are no unsaved changes
    .Saved = True
    End With
    'count the hyperlinks before opening the dialog
    lngHyperCount = ActiveDocument.Hyperlinks.Count
    'show the dialog
    Dialogs(wdDialogInsertHyperlink).Show
    'check to see whether the user added a hyperlink
    If ActiveDocument.Hyperlinks.Count = lngHyperCount Then
    'user canceled, so restore previous saved state
    ActiveDocument.Saved = blnSavedState
    Else
    'user added a hyperlink, so Word will have updated
    ' the "saved state" to unsaved...which is true!
    End If
    End Sub</pre>

I can't really tell whether this will work in Word 97. It works just fine in Word 2000!