Thread: HD not detected

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HD not detected

Am helping a friend replace a 1 GB hard drive but ran into problems from the get-go. Pulled the 1 gb Western Drive and connected a 6.4 gb Western Drive. At startup - system would not detect hard drive. Went into BIOS and found a AUTO DETECT feature - went through that and it detected the drive in CMOS. Restarted system but then it did not detect the HD. Went back into BIOS and set up HD parameters through the USER feature. Still would not detect HD. Reconnected the original 1 gb HD but the system won't detect that either. What am I doing wrong???

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: HD not detected

I found the problem. I had the jumper set to MASTER. When I changed it to SINGLE (or no jumper) it works just fine. Whooo Boy!!! All is well that ends well, I guess.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: HD not detected

Hope you won't take offense, but are you sure you don't have the ribbon cable reversed? I know most sockets and connectors have a design that's supposed to force the proper connection but there are some without the notch and stud or whatever it's called. Just in case you aren't aware, the ribbon cables usually have a red stripe along one edge that represents the #1 pin and the #1 pin on the drive connector is usually near the power socket. The motherboard end is a different story. I usually have to take a flashlight to see the #1 mark near the socket.

Did the drive spin up or make any noise when you powered on? I would normally ask about whether or not you're sure about the jumpers, but in light of what you said about putting back the original, I suspect it's not jumpering. I guess you could possibly have developed a failure in the primary IDE chain, but.....