Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printing 2 pages onto one sheet (Word2000 9.0.4402 SR-1)

I am wanting to print 2 pages onto one side of each sheet of paper (I have a 300 page file to print, read and store).

I first tried with a portrait page file and selected 2 pages per sheet from the print menu. Great, out came 2 reduced pages on one landscape sheet, each portrait page occupying half the sheet side by side. Just what one would expect.

I really want the result to be in portrait format on the sheet of paper so I changed my page to landscape in File|Setup thinking that the 2 pages a sheet setting would produce two half sized pages one above the other on portrait sheet.

How wrong can I be. It produced 2 quarter sized pages side by side on the top half of a landscape sheet.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

JohnB
    Sheffield UK

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing 2 pages onto one sheet (Word2000 9.0.4402 SR-1)

Hi John,

The way I do this is to open your 300 page document. Then click on "File", then "Print" which will open your print window. I have a HP 4050 printer, but assume most printers will do this. I am attaching a screen shot of what I see in my print window. Once you open the print window, there is a window in the lower left hand corner that says "Print" and the default will say "All pages in range". You change that to print Odd pages. Then you turn over the stack of pages and re-insert them in your printer and then open that print window again and this time select "Even pages".

You might have to experiment to see which way you need to turn the stack of pages the second time. With my printer, if I use the second tray I have to leave the pages right side up. If I used my manual tray, then I have to put the pages in face down. On my manual tray I have to put my stack of odd printed pages in face down and turn the heading part of the pages facing me. You might also have to re-stack your pages so that the stack starts with the last page first. I haven't completey figured this out yet. But I did just print a 200 page manual using this method and it came out perfectly. The important thing to do is to make sure that after the first printing that you make the stack of printed pages very even and fanned so that your printer doesn't grab two pages at a time.

I hope this helps,

Marilyn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Although this isn't a Word solution I use a very simple program called FinePrint 2000 to print multiple pages on a single piece of paper. It works with all Windows programs and allows upto 8 pages to be printed on a single piece of paper. It also does watermarks and stationery (eg electronic stationery or forms). A demo of the program can be found at www.fineprint.com

Regards,

Matthew

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

My apologies. I misunderstood your question.

Marilyn

Star Lounger
    Thanks

As usual I did not make it as clear as I should!

Your post did remind me to do it two sided to reduce paper by half again! Since my HP 5L Laser jet insists on taking a bunch of sheets instead of one at a time I have to feed in separate sheets anyway so turning sheets round as I go is very little extra hassle.

Thanks

John

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I will check it out

Regards

John

eLar

My HP1100 printer was doing the same thing. I stumbled onto a page on their Web site which addressed this. It needed a new seperation pad. I guess there was some defect, because they sent me one free. I don't know if the 5L has the same problem or not, but you might want to go to HP's site and search for "separation pad" and see what you find.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi!

I was not too happy with what I found so after several searches found the HP discussion page.

On Aug 31 someone else submitted the same question & was given the same answer you gave with a USA web site for instructions.

The web site supply a full repair kit with video or CD instructions as well as other spare parts for full repair. I have just ordered it on line.

Thanks very very much for pointing me in the right direction.

John
    Sheffield UK