2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word form 2000 to 97 (2000)

I created a form in Word 2000 using the forms toolbar. It has a couple of tables on it and uses check boxes, text boxes, etc.
    It is on a network drive at work for others to use. If someone who is still using Office 97 tries to open it, they get a dialog
    box asking them whether they want to enable macros or not (none in there that I know of) and, whether they say enable or disable,
    the form displays and prints incorrectly - i.e. no table it seems, all items on its own line therefore the form is twice as long, etc.
    What can I do so that all can use this form?

Thanks much.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word form 2000 to 97 (2000)

Do you have tables inside tables? This feature is available in 2000, but not in 97. Best thing to do is---on the machine running 2000---go to Tools-Options, Save tab. Put a checkmark in "Disable features not supported by Word 97". Then open the form and save the file. If it goes bad, you likely have tables inside tables.

Macros? In Word 2000, what are the macro settings? Under Tools-Macro-Security, you likely have it set to LOW or HIGH. Low would not prompt you, it would just enable them. High would not prompt you, it would just disable them. Set it to medium and you'll likely get the same error as the 97 user. Now, if you know you shouldn't have macros, you can clean them out of there. If you're unsure, then I'd just have the 97 user go to Tools-Options, General tab, and uncheck Macro Virus Protection. Word and Excel macro viruses are not nearly as prevalent as they were a few years ago...especially THAT kind. You should, of course, have proper virus protection running on the PC anyway.

If you want to get rid of the code in the file, save a copy first so you can get the macros back--especially if you're unsure whether they're supposed to be there. Then open the file and hit Alt+F11. Upper-left of screen, you'll see your document name and some objects underneath it. Make sure all items are - signs and not + signs at the left (ignore normal.dot). If you see ModuleX, you can right-click and hit Remove (choose No when asked if you want to export it first). Double-click ThisDocument and make sure there's no code in the right-hand window. Delete any code. Close the VB Editor window, save the file. Close and reopen. See if you still get the prompt.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a way to perform all this plus machine validation through code in order to avoid having the user tweak with Word security settings?. If you can't write some macros to put on a template on the network for everybody to easily use, what's the point in doing anything then?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, if they are TRUE templates, then you should NEVER receive the macro notification. TRUE templates (on a network) can be defined as templates stored on a network drive, where the user's Word is set up under Tools-Options-File locations, Workgroup templates location points to the location of the network templates. The user then hits File-New and sees the available templates on the network as well as User templates on their hard drive.

The registry setting for Word security in Office 2000 is:
    hkey_current_usersoftwaremicrosoftoffice9.0wordsec urity

(I don't see the 97 setting, so perhaps it was not stored there.)

Set your machine to the appropriate security setting, which will change the last digit in the registry value to 1 (low), 2 (med), or 3 (high).
    Right-click that security folder and export it to your desktop.
    Run it on log in or whatever you network techies do.

Hope this helps!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

We are getting somewhere here....
    a.- If location is what makes a template..true...this one is not. I created a public folder (NT 4.0) and I have done all editing there. Our users don't seem to have a network location form templates (should they?.).
    b.-If changing that bit on the registry must be done before starting Word...what needs to be implemented? A scrip up on Win NT log -in? (Why copy the security folder to the desktop? that one lost me....)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

k.

One thing makes a template TRUE, and that is that it is a template (*.dot file) and not a document (*.doc file). If you've got docs, then open them, hit File-Save as and choose Document template at the bottom of the save as dialog, and save the file to the appropriate network location.

To be a TRUE network template, it must reside in a folder on the network. Let's call it J:CompanyWideTemplatesWordTemplates. If that is the case, then, on each user's PC, under Tools-Options, File locations tab, Workgroup templates location must be J:CompanyWideTemplatesWordTemplates

The purpose of exporting that registry setting to the desktop is this: You can send that *.reg file (give it a name when you export it, like WordSec.reg) to another user. They put it on their desktop (just an easy location---it is NOT required to put it on the desktop, it can reside anywhere). When that other user double-clicks the *.reg file, that registry setting is implemented onto their computer. Of course, if the user doesn't have the rights to edit the registry, I have no idea if this works or not--login script or not.

I'm not a networking person, so I have no idea how to get it into a script. However, if you were installing a new version of winzip or some other login script that requires execution of a file, I think you'd have to put the *.exe into some login script. I believe you'd do this reg setting the same way. I'm NOT a networking person, so I really don't know. You might want to make that part a separate question in the networking forum.

It looks like the registry setting for the Workgroup templates location is:
    hkey_current_usersoftwaremicrosoftoffice9.0commong eneral Shared templates

Again--set yours to the desired location under Tools-Options, File locations. Export that registry key. Include BOTH reg keys in your login script if you ever get that far.

Did I answer your questions? Hope so!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK Here we go
    a.-Yes I created a *.dot file.
    b.-Template references outlook 8.0 (or 9.0) object library. The doc created based on the template must be e-mailed to a number of reviewers/approvers (althou Word routing capability could be explored too).
    I just want to make sure there is no better way other than going box by box in the house checking template file directory locations/outlook library/security settings...
    By the way..thanks for all the prompt input received.

Thanks

You can use a VBScript to automate Word to add a Workgroup templates folder, but the macro security settings, for obvious security reasons, are not available through automation. However, you can use VBScript to read and write the registry directly, and this avoid the security warning generated by opening a .REG file.

There are various VBScript examples posted in the Lounge. Try a search for Wscript RegRead, for some examples. Unfortunately, you might have to do a lot of checking with If...Then or Select...End Select to account for different versions of Word.

In Word 2000, the relevant keys are:

Workgroup Templates folder:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0CommonGeneralSharedTemplates

Macro security settings:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0WordSecurityDontTrustInstalledFiles
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0WordSecurityLevel

Hope this helps.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dreamboat

Your original response helped me - thanks!