New Lounger
    Thanks

user folders in windows explorer (XP home)

I have a dell computer and I created two user names. In windows explorer there are folders for the user names but there are also folders with the user name followed by .and the dell service tag. Dell could not give me a satisfactory answer. The folder for the user and the user.tag code are not duplicates.
    Example of folders: userone, userone.D00PT111; user two, usertwo.D00PT111
    I created another user to see if it would create this additional folder but it didn't.
    Does anyone know how and why this happened?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: user folders in windows explorer (XP home)

Have you ever re-installed Windows XP over the top of itself?

I had a very similar situation when I re-installed Windows 2000 over the top of an existing installation to resolve a problem. The original folders were called "Username", the new ones were "Username.Computername", except for Administrator which presumably was created before I had a computername so it was now Administrator.WINNT. The original folders were still there, but could only be accessed by the administrator to recover the old content.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

XP has not been reinstalled. It looks like the new folders were created shortly after the originals within a day. All of my documents get saved to my folder that has the username.service tag. The my documents folder that is in my plain username folder is empty. It just bugs me to know what caused it.
    Linda in Iowa

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Are you logging to a network? If you login to a network Windows will automatically create another user account to distinguish it from the local account.

Joe
    Joe