5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arranging files by most recent date in explorer

I am still trying to figure out how to arrange files from the most recent to the oldest in Windows Explorer List view. W98 does this nicely but Windows 2000 always arranges files and folders from the oldest to the newest. This means that if you have files that are 4 years old you see them first. There must be a way to correct this. Help please.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Arranging files by most recent date in explorer

Go to the 'Detail' view sort the files files in reverse order, newest first, then select 'List' view.[img]/w3timages/icons/aflame.gif[/img]

I always use 'Detail' view and have never thought about the sorting in the different icon views and the list view.[img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that can be done, but it takes at least 4 clicks of the mouse, and the sort doesn't stick. The next time you open the folder in List view it's back in the sort by oldest file first. I like List view as it enables me to see the maximum number of files in the window. Details view limits the Window to about 25. It would seem logical that if MS wanted to have it only one way, it should have been most recent first. All other MRU lists are that way, fonts in Word for example. Woody are you listening?

slampros

Whoa y'all

There's a way to do it EXACTLY how you want for each and every folder in windows 2000. see TOOLSFOLDER OPTIONS from any MY COMPUTER folder you may have open....see the second tab for Branding a folder *** mark my words: editing your folders with Front Page notepad whatever, is just asking for a serious hosing, down the road.....really, so just forget the advance cr, er stuff there. the 2 buttons: "Like This Folder" & "All my D*mn Folders" are the 1's you need. BTW: I never use explorer [er, almost...like right clicking the start button, i will]. Explorer is not called exploder for nothin'.

Hey check out my new Win2K w/1 hand page @ http://slampros.ulink.net

more's going up, shortly, so hang onto your shorts.

:-)

steve!!
    Certified Software Hosineer

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Steve,
    I think you are wrong. The "Like Current Folder" button in the Folder Options View tab does not hold the sort placing the most recent file first. Try this and I think you will agree: Open any folder in MS Explorer. Go to Tools | View and select Details. Then click on the column heading "Modified". This will sort the files with the most recent first. Then go back to the View menu and select List. You now have the List view with the most recent file first. Now go to Tools | Folder Options and select the View tab. Click on the "Like Current Folder" button. Then close the Explorer folder. Now reopen the folder or any other folder. You will find the sort back with the oldest file first.

If anyone is drafting "Windows 2000 Annoyances", in my opinion this should be the first chapter.