New Lounger
    Thanks

word freezes (Word/Office 2000 SR-1)

Word with wordart freezes when initiating print

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: word freezes (Word/Office 2000 SR-1)

Sounds like a corrupt document scenario. Possible solutions:
    . Copy all of the affect document EXCEPT for the last paragraph mark and paste the copied material into a new document.
    . Save as HTML or RTF and re-open and save as DOC.
    . Don't print (just kidding).
    Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks; however, even trying to open it immediately freezes the doc at the stage where the Wordart text starts to develop! So, other than after changing to rtf in Explorer (which did not help) I can't do anything, including copying.

This scenario has happened before with another Wordart containing document and the same printer (HP 920c).

Another suggestion?

Thanks, James Loewenstein

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi James,

Changing the extension to RTF in Explorer doesn't change the file's format. You need to do a Save As RTF from within Word to do that.

I understood from your original post that the problem only emerged "when initiating print". Now you say "even trying to open it immediately freezes the doc".

I don't know if your printer driver has anything to do with it - though various HP drivers seem to give people headaches - but you might try setting up another printer driver as the default (eg Apple LaserWriter) and seeing if that lets you open the document without it freezing your system. If so, that will at least let you apply the other remedies (preferably in the order that I suggested) before reverting to the HP drivers.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Again thanks for extremely fast response!

The problem emerged when printing; thereafter each time I try to open the file (without even getting to printing) the whole computer freezes (even ctrl+alt+del does not help; only shut down by pressing power!).

Therefore, can't Save as RTF from within Word as it fails to completely open (=catch 22; or: 'there is a hole in my bucket!').

Since I correspond here from work from a different computer, and the problem is on my home PC, I couldn't yet try your solution re: changing the printer driver.

Thanks, regards, James

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi James,

If you have access to Word on anohter computer (especially if it's a different version and/or it uses a different printer driver), you might try opening the file there. If that works, try each of the solutions I suggested in my first post and see if any of the new files work on your problem computer.

As a last resort you might try recovering the text using WordPad. First, open WordPad and make sure that text wrapping is on (View|Options|Text). Now open the file and you'll see your text starting around 1/4-1/2 way down the screen, below a range of control characters etc. If you scroll down, you'll see another, more extensive set of control chatacters etc after your text. Select just your text and copy it to the clipboard. Now create a new document in Word and paste the copied text into it. You'll have lost all the formatting, embedded objects, etc from the original, but you'll at least have recovered the text.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks

There also are some commercial products to recover corrupted documents. Several months ago there was a spate of posts on the subject.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again. Meanwhile, I have succeeded in opening the file on a different computer (at work; similar setup - Win 98 and Office 2000 -as at home, but HP 890C instead of HP 920C printer) and than saved it as an RTF file. However this file again froze my home PC!

I have not tried the WordPad approach you suggested as this would anyway destroy the WordArt format and the file is not very important. What, however, is more important, is how I could avoid this problem in the future. For your info: my PC has 160 RAM memo, and a 5 GB partitioned harddisk with about 550 MG free on C: and 1 GB free on D:. I clean (including sometimes DLL's and registry), scan and defragment regularly.

Regards, James