New Lounger
    Thanks

Question about tables (Word 2000)

I am trying to setup a table with 2 columns & I want them to be right next to each other, but independent of each, & I can't seem to get this to work. I have enclosed an attachment of what I would like the tables to look like, I need to know how to make them independent of each other???
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Question about tables (Word 2000)

Well that is not really how tables work but you could get around it by:
    1. Using a two column section where the second table has a column break before it.
    2. Creating one table on the page and the second one in a floating text box
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks

I figure from your comment that they must be "right next to each other" that they cannot be in seperate (non-table) columns, which may be the easiest way to get the independance you want. Otherwise, you are probably on the right track wih your three column table.

I figure the independance you want is to be able to make every cell it's own width. Just select the entire cell by moving to the very left edge of the cell until you get that very dark up-right-pointing selection arrow and click. Once the whole cell is selected, you can drag the edges of just that cell as you wish.

For extra fun, try holding down the modifier keys (shift, ctrl, alt) in different combinations before you drag the borders of your table cells. You get some useful behaviors.

Bradley

Lounger
    Thanks

My solution to a similar problem was to split my table between 2 columns in a 2-column section. I needed to have row height independent because some rows had more info than others. You'll need to insert a continuous section break at the end (and make the following section 1 column) to make the columns in the section even up. If you want it to appear as tho it is actually one table, you can reduce the amount of space between columns in the section -- if you want to put borders on the table and the sides don't even out, you can control the spacing with before & after paragraph spacing. The only drawback is that if info in the table changes, you might have to fine-tune it to make it look okay.

Nancy Potter

Nancy Potter

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Try nested tables.
    Create a 2 column 1 row table: Format > Borders >None, but leave the show gridline option checked so you can see where they are. In the first and second cells of the initial table, insert a single cell table. These single cell tables will act independently of each other and can have rows and columns added at will. Is this what you are looking for.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you really want it, you can put two tables side by side by placing them in frames. Each table is independent. You must make sure that the anchors for each frame are not inside the other table.