New Lounger
    Thanks

Access design (Access 97)

Hello

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access design (Access 97)

I don't understand how using an array, class or user-defined data type would help solve your problem. It seems to me you simply need to ad a site number to the detail record (on the many side) so that you can capture which site the info applies to. You can nest subforms up to 3 deep with no real problem - the only challenge is remembering how to reference controls, especially if they are on different form than the one that has focus. Navigation is the only other thing that seems to cause trouble in some cases, but we use subforms on nearly every system we develop. If I've missed a major point here, and gone off in a totally wrong direction, please post back.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

you are correct, i've experienced those problems w/subforms.

in any event, i do not know how to make the nested subforms work since the table for the sites will not have a primary key. the maximum number of sites would not exceed 6 per identification number. numbers 1-6 would be repeated. you have not missed a major point, i don't know enough about subforms to conceptualize how to make this work. so, will you direct me?

in advance, thank you.
    lbrown

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<<. . . since the table for the sites will not have a primary key. the maximum number of sites would not exceed 6 per identification number. numbers 1-6 would be repeated.>>

I think your problem may be more of a table design issue than a forms issue. In general all tables should have a primary key - though it can be made from several fields. The reason is that in order for Access (and most other database programs) to be able to update a record, there needs to be a unique key. Can you give us some details on the table structure you are trying to work with? We should be able to give you better advice with that.
    Wendell