4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mozilla's placement of bookmark file (Mozilla Build 2002053012)

I recently switched from Netscape to Mozilla Build 2002053012, which I run on several machines. I would like to keep the bookmark file (BOOKMARKS.HTM) in sync between these machines. With Netscape, I could go to managing book marks and do a file open on D:BOOKMARKSBOOKMARKS.HTML and from then on, Netscape would use that file for bookmarks. Mozilla buries the bookmark file deep in the C drive program subdirectory and has used a different subdirectory name on each machine. On the machine I'm using right now, its C:WINDOWSApplication DataMozillaProfilesdefault1hvmp4ry.slt. Is there any way to 1) force Mozilla to use the same location on each machine and 2) force that location to be a subdirectory I specify?

Thanks
    Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mozilla's placement of bookmark file (Mozilla

I too use Mozilla and unless you're into writing your own code to modify Mozilla, which I guess you can do, you can't do what you want. At least not in the way you're used to. The Mozilla.Org folks say that the creation of a profile directory uses a "random" name for SECURITY purposes. I guess you could create some kind of batch file to copy the bookmarks file on each machine to a commonly named folder, say like once a day. But that would only be the beginning. Let me think about this one for awhile and if I can figure out some way to EASILY do what you want, I'll post back. Meanwhile we can see if anyone else jumps in with a potential solution.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm no coder so that option is out. I can handle the batch file but if you end up forgetting you can lose bookmarks so I'm hoping to find a better solution. I tried just renaming the subdirectory but, of course, that did not work. I'm a little leary of tracking it down in the registry but I'm guessing that is where it is.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

WAY BACK WHEN, using Netscape 4.xx, I copied my bookmark.htm(l) file to the webspace my ISP provided with my account. Once it was there, I created a bookmark in the local bookmark file pointing to my webspace. I made it a habit each week to copy the bookmark file to the webspace so that all new ones were there, as were anyother modifications I made to the file. That was the nice thing about Netscape's bookmark file, it was standard HTML format.

Would this be possible for you to do? I'm not using Mozilla, so I don't know if it's possible.
    Christopher Baldrey

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mozilla is also a standard HTLM document so this approach would also work., just like running the batch file someone else suggested. Thanks

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson