Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

our XP MS-Licence displayed on clients OfficeXP

Our company currently uses windows NT & office97.
    We have a test pc which we have setup with WindowsXP & OfficeXP.
    We also have many company templates.

We are looking at a new product called ActiveDocs to create templates & documents (instead of using code).
    I shipped up some of our company wordXP templates to this company to have a look at & convert to ActiveDocs.
    The developers at their end setup our company templates as our enviroment & ran the templates.

Whats happened at their end is the Microsoft licence details displayed ie
    if you open up any ms application ie word, excel etc >goto Help>About Microsoft Word
    our companies microsoft licence details display on their pc (the pc that our templates are loaded onto).

Does anyone know how this may have happened?
    We have code & functions that reads & writes info to the registry.
    How would our company ms licence details be attached/travel with our templates?
    thanks in advance Diana

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: our XP MS-Licence displayed on clients OfficeXP

When one uses Help | About MSFT Word, the info displayed is for the currently running Word, and has nothing to do with what Word was used to create any document or template.

Their software could be retrieving, and saving, that info at your end, and including the info in your documents, but AFAIK, there's no way to replace the info in the Help menu item, without actually hijacking the menu item, which would not make much sense to me.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

HI Howard...yes i know makes no sense at all.
    the only thing that i can think of is
    our orginial templates are in Word97 - with functions & code that reads the registry etc.
    when I converted the 97 templates to WordXP on the WinXP box & did some test runs- maybe the registry keys & items were moved in WinXP & were confused somehow.
    Then I sent our WordXP templates to this company.
    However I still dont understand how our companys ms-licencing details attached itself to our word templates & configured & hacked their pc/registry with our ms-licence details.
    Do you think it may be in the metadata of the templates?
    Diana

by the way whats AFAIK?

Thanks

As Far As I Know - see The Acronym Database

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

When you say your license details are showing, do you mean that the Help item is formatted EXACTLY as it would be on your own system?

I'm not aware of anyway to change what is displayed in that menu item, unless one writes a macro that hijacks the item.
    The licensing information is not included in any documents or templates.

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You said:

"I shipped up some of our company wordXP templates to this company to have a look at & convert to ActiveDocs.
    The developers at their end setup our company templates as our enviroment & ran the templates."

What did you do to ship them?
    Did they have you run a special macro?
    If so, they could have copied your licensing info and hijacked the Help Item to give it the appearance you see. I do not know why they would do that, but they could.

As a test, send one of your pre-ActiveDocs files to someone else to look at.
    And, then do whatever you do with ActiveDocs and send one of those files to someone else to look at.

If the files are small(ish) and you include them as a .ZIP file, you may email me those files.
    This is a one-timed offer that expires at midnight tonight at Latitude: 42

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

HI Howard

what I did - was convert some of our existing Word97 templates to WordXP - zipped the templates up.
    Gave the developers at their end some instructions so they could run our templates
    ie in explorer - the storage location of our templates on the c drive
    ie in Word - Tools>Options>File locations - change the Startup Path - to point to our templates storage location in explorer
    & that was it.

there was no special code that I wrote for this purpose - they didnt run any code at their end
    & havent even begun work in ActiveDocs.
    All they did was - store the templates in the directory location on the C: drive & start up word - change the startup path.Exit out of word
    The next time they fired up WordXP - our companys ms-licence details was displayed on their pc.

dont know how our companies ms-office licence details are displayed on their pc?
    Diana