5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File Access problem

I'm on a network (WinNT running Win98 myself); have a general question about file-access...

I needed to give some people access to a file somewhere in a sub-directory that I have. What I did was give these people (read) access to that file (by modifying the security to that file) but, as I didn't want to give these users access to any (sub)directory leading to that file, I kept the directories locked. Obviously, the only way people could now 'load/run' the file was via a direct link/shortcut; traversing through directories did not work (nor was it supposed to).

This has always worked for me until recently the users could no longer access the file (reasons unknown). When I asked for help, I was told that in order to access any file, at least list-access to (sub)directories leading to that file is always required (apperently except for files that have the "EveryOne" access property). When I told that setting the security ONLY for the file and keeping the directories 'locked' had always worked, I understood the latter was not the normal situation....

I did some searching but couldn't find this example listed clearly anywhere; are there some experts reading this who can tell me what is right and what is wrong??? Can I give access to a file only without opening-up the directories leading to the file in any way or can't I???

Thanks,

EJ

PS. Again, the proplem was fixed by giving list access to the directories so I do not have a major problem (and I'm happy!). I am just trying to understand if this is really true or just a work-around... (as I understand of course that list access to (sub)dirs does work too)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Access problem

We've been using exactly that feature to cut down on snooping, so yes it should work on both NT and 2000. It requires a user privilege that, to my knowledge, is set by default (which is probably why it previously worked for you), called "Bypass Traverse Checking" (at least in Windows 2000; I think it was called that in Windows NT). Has the network administrator (or you, if you are the admin) been tightening up user privileges recently?