2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SP 1 Archive (XP Home)

Dear Helpers,
    I have 2 questions for you today. They have different subjects, so have posted separately
    Last night I successfully installed SP1 and allowed the Archive option. From what I have read in this Forum I gather that the Archive is all the files and Reg from my original XP which were removed by SP1, and they can be used to roll back to old XP if necessary.Does this mean that I now have a sparkling clean Reg, free of the accumulated junk? All seems to be working properly ,and if no problems arise within a few weeks, would it be possible to delete this Archive as it would not be needed? If this is so, can you tell me where to find it? After installing SP1 I ran an Analysis with Diskeeper,and there are over 700 file fragments. I have never seen such a mess! A defrag is essential. Another thing I discovered is that I only have one System Restore Point now- the one created by the SP1 installation. All previous points have been deleted.Maybe it would be better to be sure your system is running well before installing SP1. Thanks.
    Elaine

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SP 1 Archive (XP Home)

Hi Elaine--
    The answer to your first questions on SP1 and the reg I'll leave to others who can do it better. But you're using Disk Keeper--Probably the best defragger. Go to their web site and take a look at the articles on under NT--excellent and they all apply to a lot of aspects of XP. Here's one on Fragmentation from Diskeeper and the excellent free book on fragmentation from Craig Jensen from Disk Keeper tech support Fragmentation--the Condition--the Cause--the Cure. Excellent diagrams--more than you want to know, but the table of contents and index makes it easy.
    There's a point missed by a lot of Power Users in other areas about Defrag and it's housekeeping importance. You aren't going to get good defrag unless you have plenty of space to do it. These guys at Diskeeper recommend 30%--that's more than the low end defragmenter from Diskeeper or Defrag Lite that MS gives you with XP. Disk Keeper also can be set to run in the background and back off from interferring with your CPU and programs--I find it doesn't always. Diskeeper can be set to defrag your Page File and your Master File Table and that with enough space goes along way to clearing up the "mess" and potential slowness you describe.

defrag

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SP 1 Archive (XP Home)

Hello defrag, Thanks for all the information about Diskeeper and defragging. I already have Diskeeper running on its own schedule, but I didn`t know about the information on the site you pointed me to. There is a lot there and I am working my way through it. Some of it is beyond me, but I am understanding much of it. The mess I referred to was caused by installing SP1, but I have defragged a few times, and order has been restored.! Thanks again for your help.
    Elaine