2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Administrator Account (XP Home)

Hello again, Thanks for your patience with me.
    My 2nd question today. After installing SP1 I also installed the extra Help Files. I have not seen them all yet but but one is about AdminUser Accounts. Microsoft recommends not to actually use an Admin. Account,but to just use a Limited Account for security reasons such as less chance of getting Trojans etc.Do you think this is necessary? I have 2 Admin Accounts open. Would it be enough just to rename one of them "User" and use it exclusively, leaving the other one as it is? Thanks everyone
    Elaine

Thanks

Re: Administrator Account (XP Home)

I think the general consensus, here included, is to avoid using Administrator on a regular basis. If you have a problem with the Admin account, you're pretty well stuck. I think most folks would suggest setting up an account and then give it either power user or administrator authority. You get the same rights, but without the risk. Seems like I saw another post, south of here, where someone had this problem. Do a search for "Administrator".

Super Moderator
    Thanks

First things first.
    Since you have the HOME version the only way you can get into THE "Administrator" account is when you boot into the safe mode and the system will ask you for password that was set for this account. Most OEMs set it to be the "enter" key.

If you are using a GOOD antivirus program and a GOOD firewall program you will be fine in using your account with admin permissions.

What do you mean when you say "I have 2 Admin Accounts open"?
    What names are you using that you would want to rename to "User"?

Which account do you have your email, favorites and etc set up in?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Bobdog and Dave A. I haven`t been very clear about my set up. I have 2 accounts activated , both of which are called" Computer Administrator". I was under the mistaken impression thay they were both operating as The Administrator . I was proposing to change one to Limited and use it for myself as the other account is no longer needed. At present I use one of these accounts for everything- both for running programs and Internet. I have Zone Alarm and AVG which are both good, so perhaps things are OK as they are. I did not realise that there was an Administrator Account only available from Safe Mode. Shall I be safe the way things are at present? Thanks
    Elaine

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I see nothing wrong with your set as is. I would keep the second account with admin permisions as a "Backdoor" in case you have some problems with your account that you use all the time. Some times when cleaning up the temp files, some (files) may still be in use and one needs to log off one account and log in with another admin account to remove those files which were in use.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for sorting this out for me Dave A. I seem to have been in a muddle over all the uses of "Administrator". I`ve got it now though and understand the difference. It is a bit confusing for those of us who are learning. I will do exactly as you say. Thanks again.
    Elaine