4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Columns (Word XP)

I often create Agendas for meetings wsing Word 2k2. Having set up the document, I change the page to landscape, create 2 columns, and then copy the agenda and place an exact copy in the 2nd column. This saves paper, printing etc.

However, the two columns do not line up vertically on the screen or in print. I've checked that the same style is used for the first line. The same line spacing is used. The same font is used for each line. The same "Space Before" is in the paragraph settings.

One point I have noticed is that the status line shows that the first line on both columns appears at 2.7cm (Margin set to 2.5, Ariel 20pt). However in Print View, I can see clearly that the two columns do not line up. However if I move to the second line, the left hand column is at 3.9cm, but the right hand column is at 3.7cm.

This is not an important issue, but I would like to understand why it is doing this.

Any suggestions?

Colin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Columns (Word XP)

Columns don't work well for side-by-side text. Use a two-column table instead. For each line that you want to ensure is side-by-side, hit tab to create a new row. You can select the table and turn the borders off, and no one knows you used tables but you.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Colin:
    The reason they don't line up can be seen if you press the show/hide button (the backwards P) on the standard toolbar. There's an extra paragraph mark, if you have a table at the bottom. You can adjust this by placing a blank paragraph mark above the first paragraph in the first column or using space above for the first paragraph on the first column.

As Dreamboat mentioned, however, it might be easier to use a table. You can use a 3 column table, also, so that the middle column creates a buffer between the two columns.
    Cheers,

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the feedback from both of you. I'm more interested as to why it does this than in the particular solution. In fact I guillotine the pages after printing, so no-one sees two side by side and so it doesn't matter. But I'm puzzled.

I always keep thae para markers showing, and on the displayed markers there is no "extra" paragraph mark, but then I'm not using a table as you thought.

I suspect its just a case of behaviour "by design" as M$ might say.

Thanks aagain

Colin

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Colin:
    If you want to attach a one page document, we could take a look at it to see what's causing it.
    Cheers,

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.

Here's the latest one

Colin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Colin:
    I opened the document you attached in Word 97. I could see no problems. Both columns line up evenly. Did they not line up in Word 2002?

Lounger
    Thanks

I work in Word 2K and I noticed when I opened up your attachment that the Compatibility feature "Don't use HTML auto paragraph spacing" wasn't checked. When I checked it, everything in both your columns lined up. Maybe its the same in Word 2002?

Nancy Potter

Thanks

Isn't that annoying? Why does MS do these things to us?!

Perversely, if you delete the column break and fill the first column with empty paragraphs, then the top line of the second column lines up with the first. How's that for logic?

I guess I'm annoyed because users collectively spend thousands of hours a year futzing with alignment in Word, and MS makes it much harder than it needs to be with its bizarre quest to web-ify Office.