Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Potatoes for kids

My pre-teenage children generally do not like potatoes. So it can be a struggle to get them to eat.

They do like mashed potatoes in moderation. But this is a recipe they seem to like.

I use one potato per person (larger pesons = larger potatoes). I cook them (microwave, boil, or steam), and then peel. Slice them not too thick, and put them in an oven dish (a small lasagna dish is ideal). Each layer I sprinkle liberally with chicken stock powder, and perhaps (depending on ingredients) put on olive oil, margarine, or sour cream- but thgat's optional. Sliced cheese on the top, and then either microwave and grill (for a brown top) or put into an ordinary oven fo them same brown top.

The children love it- and it helps their dairy intake to boot.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Potatoes for kids

My mother had a recipe that we loved as kids, something she called her 'Dutch Apple Whip'. Peeled potatoes, with some carrots and apples, all cooked together in a pressure cooker. Once done, whip them smooth with some butter and milk (firm, no chunks but not runny either) and serve steaming hot. We would often have it with ham, pork, or roast beef, but I'd think it would be a good side for just about anything except fish.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

How much water in the pressure cooker?
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I have to admit that I do not know. I don't have a pressure cooker, though I've been thinking of getting one for a few years now. They are great at cooking things fast and without much (if any) loss of flavour or nutrients.