Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multipart MIME messages in Outlook 2002 (2002 (XP)

Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express both support sending and receiving multipart MIME messages. The Advanced tab at Tools/Accounts/Properties allows the user to specify the size beyond which to break outgoing messages apart. This is a very useful feature when dealing with ISPs like ours that impose antediluvian size restrictions on outgoing messages (2MB in our case).

I'm amazed to discover that this capability appears to have been removed from Outlook XP. The option has certainly disappeared from the Accounts/Properties dialog, and the software does not recombine received multipart messages.

Anybody know what's up? Is there a way to reactivate this capability in Outlook XP?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multipart MIME messages in Outlook 2002 (2002 (XP)

Hmmm. Turns out you're right. Article Q278134 on the MSKB confirms this. Long story short - MS in its wizdom hands this off to Exchange server transport if your OLXP is in cw mode. There appears to be nothing the user can do about this.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multipart MIME messages in Outlook 2002 (2002

That's bad news! So all of us who don't use Exchange are out of luck.

Thanks for the KB article reference.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multipart MIME messages in Outlook 2002 (2002

Now that I've read the KB article you referenced for the second time, I'm not sure I understand. It's clear that Exchange overrules any encoding choices Outlook 2002 might make. But what about folks like us who aren't using Exchange?

In that case, it sounds like Outlook should be making the encoding choice, and may very well be for all I know. But, the Outlook UI doesn't even offer the user the choice of setting a maximum message size in order to create multi-part messages. Is there any way I can tell Outlook to enable that capability?