Super Moderator
    Thanks

Create new file hyperlink

Can someone tell me the code I would need on a HTML page to appear as a hyperlink (to a Word/Excel/PPT template) which when clicked on creates a new file based on that template rather than opening the template itself.

I am not constrained on which language although the implementation would be on IE5 on a company intranet.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

Re: Create new file hyperlink

I could not make this work. By adding a value to the registry (Win98), I was able to get a new template to open in Word rather than the browser, but it is a template and won't save as a document ('though perhaps a FileSaveAs macro could fix that).

I tried changing the default Open command for Word Templates to FileNew, but this made no difference. The way the browser integrates with Word seems to bypass the relevant Windows Shell settings.

The workaround appears to be to use documents rather than true templates. Does this work for you?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Create new file hyperlink

Nope, I cant get it to do the right thing.

The reason I want this is so that we can have a HTML page where you can create new files based on templates. Those files might be Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Access, Project etc. I won't sully the templates themselves with AutoOpen macros because of the other ways people might create a new file based on a template.

It seems like such a simple thing to want to do that I find it hard to work out what the problem is.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia