Thanks

messages disappear when opened (2000 SR1)

Hi,

With the preview pane turned off, I can see a list of messages in my inbox. I can select a message and nothing bad happens. I can select another or another and nothing bad happens. If I double click on a message to open it, it will open in a new window - as usual - but the message disappears from my inbox. It is not deleted, it simply disappears. Bing! So when I close the message that I opened, it is totally gone.

Second scenario: I have my options set to mark messages as "read" after viewing in the preview pane for 10 seconds. With the preview pane turned on I select a message and it is displayed in the preview pane, as usual. Looking in the inbox I can see that the message is still there. After ten seconds, the message disappears.

Apparently, the act of marking messages as "read" is deleting them (entirely.) I test that theory by selecting a message, right clicking, choosing "Mark as read" from the menu, and my theory is confirmed. The act of marking messages as "read" deletes them completely from the inbox. This only happens in the Inbox, other folders are unaffected.

We have been using Outlook to read email for years, on this computer for 2.5 years, on this computer with this OS (Windows2000Pro) for months. This problem just began in the middle of the day, yesterday. And it did not begin when Outlook was opened, but after Outlook had been in use for half of the day.

I have gone through all of the options and properties that I can think of and everything looks to be in order. (I have turned off the automatic "read" marking of messages for the time being and have set it to leave messages on the server while I get this sorted out, so I shouldn't lose any more messages, but it won't work to keep it this way.) We have restarted Outlook and rebooted the system. The problem remains.

I'm stumped. Anybody know what is going on here and how to fix it?

Thank you,

--Brian M. Godfrey

Thanks

Re: messages disappear when opened (2000 SR1)

If they're not in your deleted items folder, then... there is a way to set a filter so that only unread messages are displayed. Check under View|Current View|Customize Current View... to see if there's anything going on with Filters.

Thanks

Re: messages disappear when opened (2000 SR1)

Well fer cryin' out loud. You were right! It was actually my wife's account that was having the problem. I just went and checked and she had been experimenting with the viewing options. Thank you very much for your help!

--Brian