3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Open to specific record (2000)

I know I can open a form to a desired record by setting the stLinkCriteria argument in a DoCmd.OpenForm command. If the form has a subform, how can I also specify the record to be displayed in the subform? In other words, the subform displays the child records that link to the record in the main form - I want to specify which child is seen.
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Open to specific record (2000)

You can do essentially the same thing by applying a filter to the subform and turning on the filter. Of course you have to know which record you want to view, and in general subforms are designed to show multiple records, so that can be a challenge. It must of course be done in code, and usually involves setting the FilterOn property to True. If you know what the Filter should look like in advance, you can set it at design time for the subform. Otherwise you will also need to set the value of the filter in code when you open the main form. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open to specific record (2000)

If the subform is properly linked to the parent form, then all the records you see in the subform are the "right" records. If you want a specific subform record, how would you determine which one it should be? If it's an issue like latest date, etc., you can simply order the query behind the subform to sort in that order. Then the link between the parent and subform will take care of which records are displayed and the query will take care of the order they're displayed in.
    Charlotte