Thread: Reinstalling OS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reinstalling OS

I've come to the conclusion that a reinstall of ME is likely in order to get rid of a recurring VWIN32 error. I have the install boot disk and CD... but in all my experiences with pc's this would be the first OS reinstall on an 'operating' pc. I want to make sure that I don't toast all my files or installed programs in the process, so I would like to know how to go about doing a 'non-destructive' reinstall, and would greatly appreciate any tips anyone has to offer. I don't have any mass-backup capability and only a handful of floppies; otherwise I wouldn't worry about having to do a full format & install.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reinstalling OS

For myself David, in the past when re-installing over an existing Windows installation (95 and 98SE), I've copied the CAB files to the HD, and rebooted with a boot-diskette. I've then not had a problem installing Windows from the HD cab files.

I believe you'll get a prompt asking if you want to overwrite your C:WINDOWS folder... and I've said "go ahead" without a problem.

Of course, this isn't saying you won't have problems... I simply haven't (yet). And of course, your best protection, is to backup the "essential" data.
    Christopher Baldrey