Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Win XP SP-1 Download (Win XP)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by eastmans on 11-Sep-02 19:12. Later information.)</P>I'm attempting to download SP-1 for 2 WinXPPro computers. Is there any way to be able to resume a download of this huge file after disconnection from the Internet? My first attempt failed after about 30 MB for this reason. If there is no way to resume this download, will it be faster to download the "Express" way on each computer? I'm using a 56K dial-up connection. And I have the connection time set to "Never disconnect." However, our ISP will disconnect for us. Any tricks I can use?

6 hrs. 9 min. later - I got all the way to 109 MB (81% downloaded) when I wasn't disconnected from the Internet, just suddenly the useless incomplete file was copied to my hard disk and the message came up that the download was complete. Aaaargh! When I clicked on the file a message said "xpsp1_en_x86.exe is not a valid WIN 32 application." Same message I got the first try. So I'm going the Express route on each computer.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Win XP SP-1 Download (Win XP)

Sarah, try this <post#=177568>post 177568</post#> from DaveA about ordering the CD. Might be easier.

Good luck,

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Joe. Unless you have access to a DSL or T1/3 line, order the CD.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I almost did that, but before I received your reply, I tried the Express download and managed to succeed on the first try with that. It was a MUCH shorter download as it turned out--took about 90 minutes, plus an initial, even shorter download for the I.E. upgrade. Will do the same with the other computer.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I use Stardownloader freeware for most downloads ,
    Downloads multiple portions of the file at the same time and many can be paused or resumed from a broken download ,
    Will not work on all downloads and the odds download will not stich together.
    I am downloading SP1 at present and have paused and resumed threetimes so far
    JJe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had posted that there was one download for SP1--and was told that by Convergys XP Support contracting to MS- when "Boot XP" got in my way-and of course there are two--the Express up to around 30MB, and the 134 MB on the right of the page labeled "Network Installation for Multiple Computers."

defrag

Administrator
    Thanks

Sarah, Two things. First, The express download is just an installation manager which will download much more when you execute it. You can end up downloading another 30 MB. Second, it is ice to have the full service pack if you change the hardware and/or Windows configuration later. You'd need to re-apply the service pack and have to re-download the 30 MB again as your original download was based on the fixes you'd applied and the configuration you were running at the time. So, even if that works for your PCs - IMHO you should still get the CD from Microsoft or a friend.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I agree with joeperez that I really should have the full SP-1 or the CD, in case I need to reinstall Win XP. Just following up--were you able to get the full download using Star downloader?

Administrator
    Thanks

Sarah, I did not use Star downloaded. I've got a cable modem and was luck enough to hit the download site when traffice was light. Got it in about 15 - 20 minutes.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Did I reply to the wrong post? Anyway, I wanted to ask JJe if the Star downloader download of SP-1 worked.

New Lounger
    Thanks

No Win XP CRASHED Possible traojan and i lost everything.
    Recent post on Newsgroups have decided me against SP 1 .To many problems as i understand and better to use XP updates.
    I have used stardownloader in the past to grab a 30MB downoad spread over a number of weeks . What i like is it will resume most downloads if the connection is lost.
    JJe

Administrator
    Thanks

Don't let the newsgroups influence you too much. Almost everything that is posted is a problem. you don't see the vast majority who have had no problems posting saying they've had no problems. Much depends on your hardware and software setup. I've installed SP-1 on two machines with no problems at all. Will install on a third PC next Friday.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

As and when i have a stable first installation of XP .As i dont want to confuse the matter at present. Although it was a comment from a well qualified MS certified whatever.
    JJe

Administrator
    Thanks

JJe, Are you trying an upgrade installation or a fresh install?

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

JJE,
    As for those "MS certified whatever" you need to be careful. They can added to one's title list with out much work in getting it.

This also applies to a lot of MVP's but NOT at this site (Woody's Lounge).
    As for WMVP's everyone of them have earned their way here and deserve the tiltle.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast