Thread: Large .BMP file

New Lounger
    Thanks

Large .BMP file

I have a shortage of space on my C drive. I have done all the usual clearouts, but I came across a 99.4MB .BMP file in directory c:MSCANMSOFFICETEMP called P8094436.BMP. I cannot print it out to view as it is too big. Any ideas. Should I just move it to another drive? Can I delete it?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Large .BMP file

Mu suggestion is to rename it or put it in your recycle bin for a week or two, and if it causes no problems, chuck the file.

Of course, my suggestion will not help you clear up space on your hard drive immediately.

Thanks

Do you have a scanner? The MSCAN folder sounds like it may be used by one.
    I would guess a scan has been made and saved using the default setting - .bmp. The very fact that it is in a TEMP folder means that in all likelihood you can safely follow Kevin's advice above and trash it without a problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both Leif & Ken.

I have moved it to my F Drive and deleted it from my C Drive. No bad effects so far. Thanks for the hint on how it might have got there. I do have a scanner, and I have had scans fail 'out of memory' - I have 128MB on my machine, which probably explains it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>and I have had scans fail 'out of memory' - I have 128MB<hr>
    I know this is a little off the topic, but if you're running Win98 with 128 meg memory, your scanner settings are probably set to too high a resolution. I know mine were when I first set it up. You may have to settle for slightly less resolution, but you shouldn't be getting out of memory messages.