Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Quick treats for kids

Sometimes it's difficult to have something ready in time for kids, especially if they arrive home before you.

One idea- using one of thoise "sandwich maker" things. (Do they have them in other places than Australia? The things where you put a sandwich to hake it hot and taosted on the outside, where it melts the cheese on the inside).

Instead of using bread, use frozen puff pastry sheets. Fill them with mince meat, apples, chicken and cheese- anything which meets their fancy.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Quick treats for kids

Something my sister used to do was to take a bunch of grapes and stick them in the freezer.

Noisy kids want something sweet - she gives them a grape or two. They can't scoff them quick, cause they're cold. Better than candy or a coke!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don't worry, sandwich makers do exist in other parts of the world, with some models even doubling as a waffle maker. I see them advertised on tv from time to time, and could probably be picked up rather inexpensively.

I like the idea of using the puff pastry sheets. One treat that I used to really enjoy but can't get locally was called a 'Samosa' -- curried/spiced meat and vegetable mix in a pastry wrapper, deep fried. The filling would be easy to improvise, and the pastry sheets in a sandwich maker would probably be far less messy than attempting to wrap by hand and deep fry, not to mention lower fat content.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Samosas are great.

And I agree with you about a non-fat version. Good thinking!!
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.