Star Lounger
    Thanks

Does system restore work after September 8, 2001?

Recently a colleague found this MS Knowledge base article that says that Windows ME System Restore will not work for restore points after September 8, 2001 (yep, 369 days ago!). On our WIndows ME system, we tried system restore and it wouldn't work. The patch they described wiped out all our existing restore points (we didn't have any before September 8 last year), but new restore points we make now will work. Have any others of you seen this problem? And is there a way to rescue existing restore points made after September 8 2001?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;EN-US;q290700&

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Does system restore work after September 8, 2001?

I am not aware of any way of recovering deleted checkpoints but I do have a question ????
    Why would you want to go back that far?
    System Restore makes a backup of/and restores your system configuration; it does nothing with data or the actual applications.
    I am not trying to be funny; just curious.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Does system restore work after September 8, 2001?

No, we don't want to go back that far. I really have two questions:
    1) Is this really true that ME system restore can't restore to points after September 8, 2001? It seems like others on here have talked about using System restore after September 8 and it seems to have worked. Or did they load this patch already months ago?

2) If you have not downloaded the patch before, is there really no other option to allow you to use restore points made between September 8 2001 and the present? The knowledge base article refers to a failure in the algorithm that generates file names for the restore data. Is there no way to rename the files to what they should have been named?