New Lounger
    Thanks

NT4 & Viewing Chinese Characters

Not sure if this post should be in this forum or the Excel forum so here goes....

I have a WinNT 4.0 workstation with Office97. We have received an Excel spreadsheet from China and are unable to see the Chinese characters (little boxes appear in place of these characters).

What do I need to do to view & input Chinese characters?

Clare Agapeyev
    clare.agapeyev@kvaerner.com

Thanks

Re: NT4 & Viewing Chinese Characters

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: NT4 & Viewing Chinese Characters

Read this one, follow and download the Global IME 5.01 link. For Chinese there are two Global IME with language pack - Traditional and Simplified. maybe it is a good thing to download and install both. Here is the link . I've use the Japanese version and from what I experienced the file name (Excel files) should be in English characters for you to be able to open it. from NT4, Win98. Reading the files is possible but direct edit is not. Although Word, Outlook Express, Outlook accept direct input. Normally I would use Word to cut and paste double-byte characters into Excel for editing purposes. But if you got XP boxes then it'll open and direct editing is possible even with Double byte character file names. In Office 2000 or XP under Programs > Microsoft Office Tools > MS Office Language Settings >Enabled Languages ...... Chinese (Traditional and Simplified) should be enabled for all of it to work. I'm just not sure if this is also available in Office 97 please check and enable it.