3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Attachments (Outlook 2000 SR-1)

I contiue to experience a problem when I send emails with attachments. Almost every time, the recipient will tell me that they did not receive the attachment. My Outlook outbox shows the email with an attachment. However, the recipient says that absolutely nothing is attached, but they do receive the email.

I am trying to isolate what might be removing the attachment. Candidates are Outlook, my cable router (LinkSys 4 port cable router), or my ISP. My ISP took me to a site www.mail2web and said that if I can send an email with an attachment from there, using my ISP's email account, then the problem does not lie with the ISP (and I sent the email and attachment without problem). I have been corresponding with LinkSys but as yet have not been able to prove or disprove whether the router is the cause of the problem.

Is there any way that Outlook could be dropping the attachments?

JimF

Thanks

Re: Outlook Attachments (Outlook 2000 SR-1)

Do you use Rich Text Format (RTF)? Does the message arrive in RTF? Check out <!post=Post #178111,178111>Post #178111<!/post> to see where I'm going with this.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I have the option in Outlook set to use Outlook Rich Text Format. I take it from the post you reference that I should not use RTF for someone who has trouble receiving my attachments. I know where to turn RTF on and off for all email but I am not sure where to find the screen in that post showing that you can choose RTF by recipient. Where can I find this?

Thanks

Definitely worth a try to see if this fixes it. The dialog is what appears (in Outlook 2000) if you double click the e-mail address in the standard Contacts form.

Also: You can leave RTF as your default if you like and turn it off from the Format menu as you are composing an individual message. But I think it is better not to use RTF as your default if you send mostly Internet mail. If you want to use formatting, HTML has become more widely supported than RTF.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried sending an email in plain text with an attachment and the person said there was no attachment shown. That person is using AOL so I am not sure whether something on their end is dropping/hiding the attachment.

Is formatted (RTF/HTML) text used for additing features like stationary, special fonts, etc?

I will take your advice and use plain text as a default and html if I want it formatted.
    Thanks,
    JimF

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"Is formatted (RTF/HTML) text used for additing features like stationary, special fonts, etc?" <font color=red><big>YES</big></font color=red>

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.