3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop hard drive interface

I have a Dell laptop in my charge which won't do a thing, not even POST. The PSU has been examined and OK'd but a motherboard fault is suspected and therefore the machine is probably beyond economic repair.

Anyway, I have some data I'd like to get off the hard drive. Using either another laptop or a desktop, what's the best way to do this? What I'd like to do is slave it in on a working machine, copy the data to the 'good' drive and burn a CD-R from there. I realise the HDD interfaces are very different between a laptop and a desktop, but is there a way of doing it? Are interfaces different between one laptop manufacturer and another?

Tks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Laptop hard drive interface

Fish, I don't know if you can find it with Google or whatever, whilst I search through my old receipts to see from whom I bought it, but as far as I know.....

2.5" hard drives are all the same and there is an adapter I bought some time ago that will connect to the laptop drive. It has a "regular" 3.5" hard drive connector at the other end of a SHORT ribbon cable. Obviously, in order to do it, you have to take the laptop drive OUT OF the "container" it's in. Usually only requires loosening four screws to take the lid off the container, disconnect the actual drive from inside CAREFULLY. I have hard drive trays in all my machines, so after connecting this adapter to the laptop drive, I simply put it in a tray (after making sure about the master or slave status).

Let me see if I can find out where I bought the thing..... I'll be back unless you find one first.....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here's what I do when I need to copy data from one laptop HD to another (on an IBM ThinkPad):

I put the new hard drive in a separately-purchased HARD DRIVE CADDY, boot up to a command prompt, Fdisk and format the new drive, then reboot and ghost an image of the old HD to the newer HD.

I Googled for laptop hard drive caddy, and came upon this site, which sells hard drive caddies for various flavors of Dell laptops. They have a small disclaimer at the top of the page regarding age of machines, but I think you may find http://www.bixnet.com a good starting place.

This is not a recommendation that you buy from them -- I have never done business with this company -- but you can at least get an idea what you're looking for.

HTH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well I'm sorry, Fish. I can't find my e-receipt for the dadburned thing I bought and I woulda sworn that I save 'em all! But, here's a quickie link to an example of exactly the adapter I bought. As I said, if you "Google around" I'm sure you'll find them in someplace you might prefer to buy from. As near as I can recall, the only trouble I had was in figuring out the correct "orientation" of the connector on the laptop end - the #1 pin wasn't very well marked on mine. Watch the jumpering carefully - sometimes the 2.5 inch'ers aren't too clear about the jumpers. Let us know how you make out.....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the help guys.

I think Al's hit it on the head with his offering. I've seen these at the Techno Fair that comes my way from time to time, but never thought about getting one until now.

Whaddya know - they're coming down my way the weekend after this. I think I'll have to pop by and see what's on offer. Very nearly went home with a second-hand seven-bay server case going for a song last time I went. It was empty except for PSU and cables, but the build quality was superb. Probably about ten years old and weighing a ton. Would've made a nice component store or something!

...I won't mention the time I was ten minutes late in claiming a working Commodore Pet FOR FREE....I digress.